Classic Genesis Shooters on Limited Run

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Classic Genesis Shooters on Limited Run

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2020, 9:15 am

I noticed Limited Run Games is re-releasing some of the more obscure Genesis shooters like Fire Shark, Truxton, Hellfire, and Zero Wing! These were fairly common back in the day, but prices have shot up. Now you can own them at a reasonable price.

https://www.limitedrungames.com/

Atariboy

Re: Classic Genesis Shooters on Limited Run

Postby Atariboy » September 27th, 2020, 6:54 pm

I don't get this one at all.

$4 more than the cost of just one of these $45 reproductions will buy an official Mega EverDrive X3 multicart from StoneAgeGamer, allowing one to put a full Genesis rom set onto a SD card (minus Virtua Racing) and play them with perfect accuracy on a real Sega Genesis system. And as a bonus, it also plays 32X roms and SMS roms, opens up the large library of unreleased prototypes for the Genesis, homebrews like the Berzerk arcade port, etc.

Just who are they aiming these reproductions towards? A smart gamer that just wants to play these games on real hardware at the minimum of cost will just buy an Everdrive and spend 5 minutes seeking out and downloading a romset online. And a collector wants the genuine cartridge, not a modern day reproduction from Limited Run Games.

That's not to say I don't think they'll have plenty of takers. Just that I can quite put a finger on just what niche this fills. But as a fan of Toaplan shooters, I suppose I'm still happy to see them getting attention even if I think the offering is rather frivolous.

Return to “Classic Gaming”