CollectorVision Phoenix Update

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

CollectorVision Phoenix Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Like some of you, I preordered a CollectorVision Phoenix console at the start of the year. The system plays Colecovision carts on an HDTV. I was really hoping to get it by the end of the year, but the virus has messed everything up. Here is the latest update from CollectorVision (via Twitter):

Sorry for the delay in the 2nd batch of Phoenix consoles. Being 2020 has caused some minor delays, but we hope to ship it out first quarter of 2021. We'll continue to post updates.

snakeboy

Re: CollectorVision Phoenix Update

Postby snakeboy » December 10th, 2020, 7:58 am

Here's an email they recently sent out that explains the delay in further detail:

CollectorVision Phoenix Production Update:

For more details. please follow us on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Collectorvision

We have some bad news and some good news.
First the bad:
We thought the new revision of the board was ready to go into production. Unfortunately, when we got the samples in we noticed a previously reported issue but one that we had not been able to reproduce.
A few of the first production run customers had an issue with the roller controller where the character would unexpectedly warp around the screen. We had previously not been able to reproduce this issue ourselves. When testing the roller controller with the new boards we saw this same issue. We went back and tested the previous production boards and it appeared as well. So it seems it is related to something in the roller controller hardware or power.
This is something we need to get fixed before we can run the production boards. This unfortunately is going to push the shipping date back. We are doing all we can to get this fixed as soon as possible, but I don't want to really speculate on a date until production has started as that is when we will have a much better idea of the delivery date. We are still hoping to get it done by first quarter 2021.
The good news is that we have a plan to resolve the issue and are currently working on fixing it. Once we have a fix for the new boards, we should be able to make an adapter board that could be used for the first production run to resolve the issue on the old boards.
I hate that this is getting pushed back and really wanted to get this shipped before the end of the year, but I don't want to ship it out with this controller issue.

Thank you all for your patience

Regards
Toby

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Thanks for the clarification Snakeboy. I don't think I get those emails.

Anyway I'd rather have their work on the kinks instead of sending out a defective unit. I've waited this long I can wait a few more months.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 11th, 2020, 8:13 am

Too bad VGC didn’t get the email but props to the business for sending out clear communication as for the delay.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 9th, 2021, 6:53 pm

I saw this and went... that is so awesome someone is putting out another version of phoenix for the Atari 2600. Then I remembered the console. Well the Atari VCS finally came out. Not quite the console they said it was going to be but still very interesting.If I buy one from the US there is a £76 import tax charge for it so I hear. So if it does not get a uk release, which looks unlikely I will not be getting one.

I will wait to see if this is any good. I still have a coleco but it is bust so I cannot play my games on it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”