Original Halo 2 worth playing?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Original Halo 2 worth playing?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 16th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I'm trying to get into the Halo series, but all I have is a 360. That'll get me the remake of Halo 1, as well as 3, 4, and Reach (I think?) but that means the only way I have to play 2 is the original versuon on Xbox. Is that still worth playing, or should I hold out and buy an Xbox One so I can play the entire series' remakes?

ActRaiser

Re: Original Halo 2 worth playing?

Postby ActRaiser » December 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

The Halo 2 campaign is awesome. The second level, if I recall correctly, gives you a tank and a long bridge. Super fun.

Speaking of fun see if you can get past the first level on legendary. At the time it was neigh impossible, now, easy peasy. Use the overcharge and then head shot will get you through anything.

Play it - it's still fun. Now, if you can snag an Xbox One then get the Master Chief Collection. After a few years they've really updated it and made it an awesome way to play through everything.

zetax

Postby zetax » December 17th, 2020, 12:40 am

Halo and Halo 2 are backwards compatible on the 360.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 17th, 2020, 9:17 am

Thanks for pointing this out Zeta X. Ever since the PS2 era it's been very difficult to discern what games are backward compatible on what system - particular the Playstation and Xbox lines. It almost seems like being so-hit-or-miss defeats the purpose.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 17th, 2020, 2:18 pm

zetax wrote:Halo and Halo 2 are backwards compatible on the 360.

I know. But while there's the Anniversary Edition of Halo 1 on 360, and everything from 3 onwards is in really nice looking HD graphics, the only option I have to play Halo 2 is the original Xbox version. I'm worried that playing it like that would feel like too much of a step backwards to be enjoyable. Since Halo 2 was remastered just like Halo 1 for the Xbox One, maybe it'd be worth it to wait until I could pick up a used One just to play the entire series in pretty HD graphics?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 17th, 2020, 8:13 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
zetax wrote:Halo and Halo 2 are backwards compatible on the 360.

I know. But while there's the Anniversary Edition of Halo 1 on 360, and everything from 3 onwards is in really nice looking HD graphics, the only option I have to play Halo 2 is the original Xbox version. I'm worried that playing it like that would feel like too much of a step backwards to be enjoyable. Since Halo 2 was remastered just like Halo 1 for the Xbox One, maybe it'd be worth it to wait until I could pick up a used One just to play the entire series in pretty HD graphics?

It's still a fun game. We all keep saying graphics don't matter it's about the game play and play control, etc. Halo 2 is on point for a great campaign. Plus, it supports LAN, co-op campaign, and 4 player split screen (post vaccination) <kidding>

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 23rd, 2020, 2:51 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for pointing this out Zeta X. Ever since the PS2 era it's been very difficult to discern what games are backward compatible on what system - particular the Playstation and Xbox lines. It almost seems like being so-hit-or-miss defeats the purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... h_Xbox_360

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... r_Xbox_One

And if it plays on the Xbox One and doesn't require the Kinect 2.0 accessory, it will by default also play on the Series S/X.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 23rd, 2020, 10:08 am

Atariboy wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for pointing this out Zeta X. Ever since the PS2 era it's been very difficult to discern what games are backward compatible on what system - particular the Playstation and Xbox lines. It almost seems like being so-hit-or-miss defeats the purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... h_Xbox_360

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... r_Xbox_One

And if it plays on the Xbox One and doesn't require the Kinect 2.0 accessory, it will by default also play on the Series S/X.

Thanks for sharing the links. Regarding Halo 2 backward compatibility aspect of Backwash (a multiplayer download map) not playing well, it was due to all of the fog. Going through the campaign on a 360, you will never run into that issue. You could still play the map but the framerate was messed up.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » December 23rd, 2020, 8:04 pm

Totally worth playing and I’ve done it. The graphics hold up well. Maybe not Reach quality but it’s a significant step up from Halo 1.

The slowdown is quite bad on 4 player split screen. Other than that I don’t remember any major deficiencies 360 vs Xbox.

gamer4life

Postby gamer4life » March 26th, 2021, 10:01 pm

One of the best games on Xbox. I prefer the original.

Return to “Classic Gaming”