What games do you replay the most, without ever getting bored of them?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Re: What games do you replay the most, without ever getting bored of them?

Postby MSR1701 » February 5th, 2021, 7:45 pm

jon wrote:I’m interested in how much time people are putting in. I almost feel embarrassed to say I’ve been playing Tennis on Gameboy almost exclusively for a long time. Over 6 months I think. The game is so addictive and it’s only me, my opponent, and of course Mario as the referee. He’s always making bad calls which is actually kind of funny. But I wonder what games people can play for months without getting bored.

Civilization Revolution on DS. Literally played that for almost a year, with only a few breaks here n there for other games.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 6th, 2021, 2:12 pm

For me it’s usually sports games - like Tecmo Super Bowl or NBA Jam. Those just have a timeless quality that let’s you revisit them forever. And as much as NBA 2K’s microtransactions get a bad rap, I have to admit that the online MyPlayer modes are hopelessly addictive once I start. I’m still playing 2K20 online regularly. I literally avoid the game some years just to not get addicted.

For your standard genres (games that you can “beat”), it’s really hard for me to justify going back and replaying most of them. The Sonic series on Genesis is one exception. On the SNES, TMNT: Turtles in Time is a good one that I grew up on and I commonly go back to for multiplayer to introduce nieces/nephews to retro games.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 7th, 2021, 9:38 am

Retro STrife wrote:For me it’s usually sports games - like Tecmo Super Bowl or NBA Jam.

This was where my mind immediately went, too. Sports games are often the place I go back to, even years later. I regularly go back and play full seasons of hockey, football and baseball on the Genesis. But the single sport I almost never get tired of is golf. PGA Tour III on the Genesis.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 7th, 2021, 11:03 am

Ah yes, sports. NHL 94 is always my go-to when I want some frantic head-to-head competition. I did in fact recently change its grade to an A+. The first Genesis game to earn that grade.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 7th, 2021, 12:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Ah yes, sports. NHL 94 is always my go-to when I want some frantic head-to-head competition. I did in fact recently change its grade to an A+. The first Genesis game to earn that grade.

That's awesome! Fun to see that change and mark a monumental moment in the Genesis library. You might want to update your Top 50 Console Games list to reflect the A+ grade for NHL 94.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » February 9th, 2021, 11:17 am

Usually the games I have the most nostalgic memories of are ones I revisit the most.

For some reason every few years I always get the urge to replay Driver 1 and then, naturally I'll play Driver 2 after.

I've replayed the original Mega Drive Sonic games more times than I care to count, but it's usually S3&K I replay the most. Even Sonic 3D gets a look in occasionally.

Same with Streets of Rage, but 2 is probably my favourite to revisit. Dynamite Headdy, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Planet Funkotron. The original Road Rash trilogy.

There's quite a few sports games, but the most constant has always been the Mega Drive NHL series. The modding community for NHL 94 is doing an awesome job keeping the legacy alive and making the lack of trades or a full season keep it constantly repayable. There's seasonal mods from 1951 to 1999 and 2010 to present (no 2000s yet) with accurate rosters and stats based on players performance that year. So I'm currently taking one of the Original Six and playing through each year. I chose the Bruins and I'm up to 1955. If ever complete it I might try the same with an expansion franchise or follow Gretzky's career (there's WHA mods too).

Voor

Postby Voor » February 10th, 2021, 4:12 pm

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are great games for me to play for 30 minutes at a time. I’ll have a video game craving, hop online, where it will be very intense and challenging, and then put it down to do some other hobby or chore or whatever. Rocket League too, though those tend to go on for an hour.

For offline stuff, Mario 2 and 3, super Metroid and Yoshis island. I very rarely play a game for longer than an hour.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 8th, 2021, 10:33 am

Resident Evil 4 will never get old to me. I play through it multiple times a year. I have every year since it came out. I own it on so many systems it's kind of concerning. I buy this game every single time it comes out on something new.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 8th, 2021, 11:44 am

^^^i need to give that a try on switch. I’m not really into horror/gore, so I’ve avoided the series, but you always hear about RE4 being one of the best games of all time.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 8th, 2021, 1:07 pm

i NEVER get tired of playing Time Pilot,Mr Do & Satans Hollow...i've been playing them almost 40 years and still have just as much fun

Return to “Classic Gaming”