Help Appreciating Shooters

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DrLitch

Re: Help Appreciating Shooters

Postby DrLitch » February 11th, 2021, 11:29 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:Should I be playing a certain way to truly appreciate them?

I would not even overthink this. You like what you like. The end. My wife loves the local restaurant's salt and pepper tofu, I think tofu tastes like rubber, bad rubber. Each to their own ;)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 11th, 2021, 12:26 pm

I'm sure this isn't going to help anyone, but I play shooters with cheat codes enabled.

I'm too old, lazy, and don't really care to "get good". I do enjoy seeing new things though.

In MAME you can enter cheat mode and turn on invincibility, rapid fire, etc. For emulated arcade games I'm all for it. Now, I just try to play through it and enjoy the experience. You can still try for high score and not have to worry about your score getting reset when you die (which is the whole point of arcade games anyways) The more you die the more you toss in quarters. So...from my perspective I'm leveling the playing field. :)

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 12th, 2021, 9:58 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I'm sure this isn't going to help anyone, but I play shooters with cheat codes enabled.

I'm too old, lazy, and don't really care to "get good". I do enjoy seeing new things though.

In MAME you can enter cheat mode and turn on invincibility, rapid fire, etc. For emulated arcade games I'm all for it. Now, I just try to play through it and enjoy the experience. You can still try for high score and not have to worry about your score getting reset when you die (which is the whole point of arcade games anyways) The more you die the more you toss in quarters. So...from my perspective I'm leveling the playing field. :)

You might enjoy M2's shooter ports. Thunderforce III, for example, has a kids mode where you get to keep all your weapons when you die, plus you can unlock the ship and weapons from the sequel. And they've only expanded on that idea since, completely rebalancing arcade games for home consoles.

The whole idea is that they're trying to make hardcore shmups accessible to gamers with aging reflexes and people new to the genre, without completely removing the adrenaline fix.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 13th, 2021, 8:11 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
You might enjoy M2's shooter ports. Thunderforce III, for example, has a kids mode where you get to keep all your weapons when you die, plus you can unlock the ship and weapons from the sequel. And they've only expanded on that idea since, completely rebalancing arcade games for home consoles.

The whole idea is that they're trying to make hardcore shmups accessible to gamers with aging reflexes and people new to the genre, without completely removing the adrenaline fix.

That's awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 13th, 2021, 8:44 am

ActRaiser wrote:

Are you referring to the Sega Ages port on Switch? I need to check that out!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 14th, 2021, 9:45 am

MSR1701 wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:

Yeah, I was. Although I made a mistake: it's Thunderforce AC, not III. They're almost the same, but a few stages were changed, graphics remixed, and it's more linear. It's not quite as good as its console older brother, but it's still great fun, and an improvement over the SNES port.

The Megadrive's Thunderforce IV is also available, and it has the same easy mode and an unlockable ship/power-ups from III/AC.

And here's the site for their other shmups: https://m2stg.com/en/

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 14th, 2021, 9:55 am

MSR1701 wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:

Yeah, I was. Although I made a mistake: it's Thunderforce AC, not III. They're almost the same, but a few stages were changed, graphics remixed, and it's more linear. It's not quite as good as its console older brother, but it's still great fun, and an improvement over the SNES port.

The Megadrive's Thunderforce IV is also available, and it has the same easy mode and an unlockable ship/power-ups from III/AC.

And here's the site for their other shmups: https://m2stg.com/en/

THANKS!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2021, 9:57 am

It may help to think of a shooter as an arcade experience. You experience a few thrilling minutes and it's over. The fun comes in getting a bit further each time, beating your previous score.

This isn't the kind of game you set aside an afternoon for. It's when you need a quick dose of fun.

Personally I find using cheats for shooters removes all the tension and fun.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 15th, 2021, 4:47 am

Vertically scrolling shooters. I used to love them. I would go into the arcade with a quarter and play for a couple of hours. That is why I used to love them.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 15th, 2021, 10:31 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Vertically scrolling shooters. I used to love them. I would go into the arcade with a quarter and play for a couple of hours. That is why I used to love them.

I find that a little hard to swallow considering few vertical shooters run more than one hour - especially if you're playing on a single quarter.

Return to “Classic Gaming”