What's the worst game you own?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Gleebergloben123

Re: What's the worst game you own?

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 17th, 2021, 11:40 am

A few come to mind.

2600: Pacman. Bought it in 1982 with my paper route money, I think the game was $25 which was a lot of money back then, where a car cost a nickel and a loaf of bread was 800 bucks (we get mixed up a lot too).

INTV: Donkey Kong. Also bought with paper route money, this game was $39.95 which was how much a 1983 Ford Mustang cost. Or 10 loaves of bread. I called a kid in 1982 that I had just met who I knew was into gaming and asked him “Does the game come with overlays?” Or more to the question “Is this all there is to this crummy game?” The answers were “no” and “yes”. Fun fact, I became best friends with that kid and to this day we’re best friends. In 2012 we went to Funspot classic arcade in New Hampshire which I posted about here back in the day.

N64: Star Fox 64. I know peeps love this game, I could just never ever get into it.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » March 17th, 2021, 12:27 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
HawgWyld wrote:Might not be the worst game I own, but Pac-Man for the 2600 was the first game that completely disappointed me. I talked my parents into buying it right after it came out and remember being angry when I plugged it in and was treated to a screen full of suck.

I seem to remember actually liking pacman in 2600. I know sacrilege.

So you did not get Mousetrap. Played it on my pals coleco. Wow. So I had to get it on the 2600. I was like .. errr Though the critic likes it.

I have Mousetrap for the 2600. Hey, it isn't great, but Pac-Man was just the first major letdown I remember from an Atari game.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 17th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories. IE, the version remade for the PS2 and eventually the HD collection. I'm sure the game worked fine in its original 2D form (I never played it) but the 3D remake SUCKS. It's the same problem I had with Ni No Kuni, where you have to shuffle through a literal deck of cards while also focusing on a battle happening in real time in a 3D arena--expect CoM has a much faster and more chaotic pace! There never seemed to be any real strategy to playing your cards other than hoping you have a bigger number than your opponent. More often than not, I'd throw card after card at them just to see them bounce off harmlessly. When I was a kid utterly obsessed with Kingdom Hearts, I forced myself to think I was enjoying it, but when I finally hit a boss I couldn't beat no matter how hard I tried, I finally realized that I just wasn't having any fun and quit.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 17th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Worst game I own? Probably T2: The Arcade Game for the Genesis. Not that it's God awful atrocious or anything like that. But it is completely mindless. Really not much to it but shoot at everything and hope for the best.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » March 17th, 2021, 9:59 pm

It would definitely be Bubsy 3D. I also happen to own E.T. 2600 and Superman 64 - the two most infamous "worst" games in existence - but I think Bubsy 3D beats them. It just infuriated me like no other game has before or since, and the fact that I actually lasted long enough to complete the entire game only adds a lot more of my time that I'm never getting back. I still can't comprehend how someone thought it was a good idea to revive Bubsy with not one, but TWO new games on PS4; the franchise was never good to begin with!

My feelings towards the game can pretty much be summed up like this.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » March 18th, 2021, 9:11 am

It's hard to say. Possibilities:

Phix the Adventurer, PS1, 2003 - This budget title looks more like something from 1995 than 2003. It also controls badly, & has a really bad camera. Cool concept tho, & I enjoyed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpnnIbmiGI

E.T. The Extra-Terrestial, Atari 260, 1982 - Poor controls & screen layouts make this potentially-great adventure game frustration to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPnmewxetNA

One of Mythicon's Games, Atari 2600, - Mythicon released handful of budget games for the Atari 2600, all of which are bad. I think the one I have is Starfox, tho I'm not 100% sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmlHzIjLpJs

Herby: Fully Loaded
, GBA, 2005 - Gopod Graphics, non-existent gameplay. This is the only game in this list which I didn't really enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSlLRLq73E

I'm going to ignore games which were part of compilations, otherwise I'd be here all day.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 18th, 2021, 3:30 pm

I used to collect bad, terrible games that were dirt cheap... mostly licensed crap (Rocky n Bullwinkle GB, Ren n Stimpy GB, Star Trek The Next Generation GB), though the one non-licensed (to my knowledge, anyway) that I would say is the WORST would be Heavy Nova on Sega Genesis. Howly CRAP, that game is nearly unplayable. Can't even say the sountrack saves it like I can for Jim Power SNES...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 18th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Here's a challenge - what is the worst game you own (and why) that is NOT a licensed release?

Most of the bad games I've seen listed here are licensed releases... would be interesting to see really bad one-off/original games.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 18th, 2021, 3:35 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories. IE, the version remade for the PS2 and eventually the HD collection. I'm sure the game worked fine in its original 2D form (I never played it) but the 3D remake SUCKS. It's the same problem I had with Ni No Kuni, where you have to shuffle through a literal deck of cards while also focusing on a battle happening in real time in a 3D arena--expect CoM has a much faster and more chaotic pace! There never seemed to be any real strategy to playing your cards other than hoping you have a bigger number than your opponent. More often than not, I'd throw card after card at them just to see them bounce off harmlessly. When I was a kid utterly obsessed with Kingdom Hearts, I forced myself to think I was enjoying it, but when I finally hit a boss I couldn't beat no matter how hard I tried, I finally realized that I just wasn't having any fun and quit.

It's been over a decade since I played the GBA game, but if my memory serves I think you just described most of the issues I had with that release.

No idea why they felt compelled to go with the then-trendy card shuffle gimmick; the game could have removed that and been perfectly enjoyable, assuming you like your games with stories that make absolutely no sense...

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 18th, 2021, 5:59 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Here's a challenge - what is the worst game you own (and why) that is NOT a licensed release?

Most of the bad games I've seen listed here are licensed releases... would be interesting to see really bad one-off/original games.

This really ups the ante - all of my next selections were sports games that have an athlete's name on them, but no other redeeming quality...

Return to “Classic Gaming”