Give Animal Crossing Another Shot?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Give Animal Crossing Another Shot?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2021, 5:53 pm

So I've been hearing good things about the new Animal Crossing on the Switch but didn't care for the original GameCube version. I basically wrote it off as a time waster, and I might have been correct from a certain perspective.

But back they I was into playing games for the challenge. I didn't like games that didn't push back (still don't). However, with a lot of modern games a lot of the enjoyment comes from the overall experience. Perhaps if I relax and let the game come to me, I'll enjoy it more.

I could review the new Switch game, but maybe I should just go back and replay the GameCube original. I want to give this franchise a fair shake! Thoughts?

Retro STrife

Re: Give Animal Crossing Another Shot?

Postby Retro STrife » March 31st, 2021, 9:47 am

I've never played the series, but I own a couple and have wanted to try them. Like you - I worry it's just a time waster. Which can be "bad" even when they're good! Like, do I really want to get addicted for endless hours and then look back and be like "what was that all for?" It's a weird reason not to play a game, but I think like that sometimes.

Anyway, I'd actually be interested in seeing what you think of the Switch game if you decide to give it a shot. It is the best-reviewed Animal Crossing game yet (90 on Metacritic, compared to 87 for the original), which is saying a lot considering it's a 20 year old series and still getting respect.

I think you have to trust your Gamecube review. You played it in 2009, when Gamecube was already a dead system, so it's not like it was a brand new game and you had unrealistic expectations. Let's face it- how often does a game in that genre really improve with time? You'd spend a lot of time and, at best, move the needle to a higher D or C score. Better to start fresh with the Switch and see if they improved. If you love it, then maybe revisit the GC game.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » March 31st, 2021, 11:05 am

I admire the game, it is high quality, but it was not for me. My son played it endlessly and loved to build his own house and rooms with various stuff it it. Me, I liked playing the NES games you could acquire! However, about a month ago I popped it in and we've lost that save file (via SD card) , so there were no saved NES games. thus I didn't play it long.

I think the game is aimed at kids. Not busy adults.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 31st, 2021, 2:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I've been hearing good things about the new Animal Crossing on the Switch but didn't care for the original GameCube version. I basically wrote it off as a time waster, and I might have been correct from a certain perspective.

But back they I was into playing games for the challenge. I didn't like games that didn't push back (still don't). However, with a lot of modern games a lot of the enjoyment comes from the overall experience. Perhaps if I relax and let the game come to me, I'll enjoy it more.

I could review the new Switch game, but maybe I should just go back and replay the GameCube original. I want to give this franchise a fair shake! Thoughts?

I'm with you Critic. I don't like playing a game where there is no end or mission (not including high score games).

However, I do like the looks of Animal Crossing, it's kinda cozy (it looks like a nice game to curl up with on a winter's night).

I may give it another shot as well.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 31st, 2021, 2:27 pm

Animal Crossing is a "game" meant to be played a few min at a time over the course of weeks or months. You can draw your own conclusions on whether that is a time waster.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 31st, 2021, 2:43 pm

Whenever I play any AC game, I play for several weeks in a shot, put it down for a week, go back and upon remembering that the villagers leave out, the weeds go crazy, and I probably missed the last item X until it shows up again in three months, I put it down for five years, then start a new game.

I considered trying AC Switch, but I haven't had time of late to play the games I want to play (work work work...)

On a side note, am I right in thinking AC was a N64 prototype at one point?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 31st, 2021, 10:31 pm

The Switch game is an odd one - fans generally regard it as having the worst character interaction, and claim the gameplay is a downgrade from the 3DS title.

But it's also supposed to have the best multiplayer. And if you're looking for a challenge, it'll probably be an improvement.

I'm just not sure any game in this genre is one you should rush to review. The idea is that you take your time, with short bursts of regular gameplay over a long period of time.

It's mostly designed to be a zen garden - a place you can go when you need to just unwind.

I usually play these kinds of games with an audiobook or a documentary in the background, if I'm going to play one for an extended session.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 1st, 2021, 5:23 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I've been hearing good things about the new Animal Crossing on the Switch but didn't care for the original GameCube version. I basically wrote it off as a time waster, and I might have been correct from a certain perspective.

My 12 year old daughter put hundreds of hours into the new Animal Crossing over the past year (we relaxed her screen restrictions due to COVID) and loved the game. However, I often watched her play and found it absolutely boring. I don't think of it has a traditional video game per se, more like a weird fantasy life simulator. I think you will be bored to death.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 1st, 2021, 6:13 am

Lol, all video games are time wasters.

But I get what you mean—there’s no defined end goal, so it’s hard to feel accomplished.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 1st, 2021, 7:41 am

I think you should give the series another chance. The Gamecube version is one of my favorite games of all time. I know it seems like there are no end goals, but really paying off your mortgage and expanding your house can be seen as an end goal. Of course, you can still play the game after you do so, but that doesn't detract from the accomplishment. There are also goals like collecting complete sets of things like all of the fish, bugs, museum pieces, etc.

The game is definitely not a time waster! You should be enjoying the time you are playing it, not seeing it as a chore. This isn't like a game where you mindlessly grind or click constantly. For example, fishing is fun and relaxing, especially going for some of the elusive fish.

I think the Critic should go back to the Gamecube version and give it some time. When you fist start out in the game, you might just play a little bit every day until the game starts opening up. I think the critic will really enjoy the seasons and holidays. My wife and I really look forward to the first snow, or when the village has Christmas decorations. Being able to buy a Christmas tree, deliver presents, and meet Jingle is really fun. Halloween and Thanksgiving are both fun as well.

The Nintendo Switch version does some things better than the Gamecube version, and other things are worse. The way tools break in the Switch version can be frustrating. But, the level of customization for your town is also fun. I do miss the NES games from the Gamecube version. I remember being so excited when I got one of these in the original game. I made a little arcade in my basement with all of the NES games set up!

Anyway, clearly the series is a big deal now that the Switch version is getting close to being the best selling game on the platform. Only Mario Kart 8 has outsold it so far.

Return to “Classic Gaming”