Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Re: Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Postby jon » April 26th, 2021, 12:40 pm

DrLitch wrote:N64 for me. Easily the worst of the "big" mainstream consoles of all time with probably the worst library as well. It is interesting to emulate the N64 games where even with graphics packs, higher resolution, and modding, one finds that polished turds are still turds.

I’ll say this. I like the N64 and it has some great games, albeit few. But something about the N64 just feels weird. I don’t even know what it is. Maybe it’s the absurd controller which half of doesn’t even get used for a lot of games. And the blurry graphics are a humongous turnoff. That’s why I thought they should’ve made more games with the Super Mario 64 type childish graphics. The PS1 gave me headaches with its cardboard visuals. And the load times are a disaster. But I don’t know, I don’t get that weird feeling I do with the N64. It was just so different from straight forward consoles.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 26th, 2021, 1:35 pm

jon wrote:
DrLitch wrote:N64 for me. Easily the worst of the "big" mainstream consoles of all time with probably the worst library as well. It is interesting to emulate the N64 games where even with graphics packs, higher resolution, and modding, one finds that polished turds are still turds.

I’ll say this. I like the N64 and it has some great games, albeit few. But something about the N64 just feels weird. I don’t even know what it is. Maybe it’s the absurd controller which half of doesn’t even get used for a lot of games. And the blurry graphics are a humongous turnoff. That’s why I thought they should’ve made more games with the Super Mario 64 type childish graphics. The PS1 gave me headaches with its cardboard visuals. And the load times are a disaster. But I don’t know, I don’t get that weird feeling I do with the N64. It was just so different from straight forward consoles.

the pixelated cardboard PS1 graphics don't hold up well at all these days

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 1:38 pm

ASalvaro wrote:
jon wrote:

the pixelated cardboard PS1 graphics don't hold up well at all these days

Some games hold up stylistically- such as Jumping Flash

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 26th, 2021, 1:58 pm

I think the early 3d consoles really don't hold up all that well. I can still enjoy Atari, Intellivision, NES, Genesis, etc. games and they still look and play great. N64 and PS1 games? Not so much.

I actually think the PS2, the greatest selling video game console of all time, is way overrated! The games just don't look or play all that great anymore. Even at the time, I thought the Dreamcast and original XBOX brought more innovations, and the Gamecube had some real classics that still hold up today like Wind Waker. Sure the PS2 had some great 3rd party games, but they were also on the other consoles. Kingdom Hearts was an interesting concept though and Metal Gear Solid 3 was a strong exclusive, so I'm not saying the PS2 had nothing to offer.

Ask yourself this, what consoles/games do you still have a desire to play from the past? I don't even have my PS2 hooked up right now because I don't have the urge to go back and play it, even though I still own plenty of games.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 26th, 2021, 3:12 pm

noah98 wrote:Ask yourself this, what consoles/games do you still have a desire to play from the past?

*Looks at my most played retro libraries: Atari 2600, original Gameboy, Game Gear, Sega CD, PSone, Saturn, N64, GBA, and Nintendo DS.*

Wow, was I not the target audience for that question.

Also, the PS2 would be the one home retro console I'd own, if I were limited to just one home retro console.

Yeah, it's weaker than the Gamecube and XBox. And it's shaders and textures often suffered, even when compared to the Dreamcast. But it has one of the most expansive libraries of all time. And one of the most varied.

It was the last generation where smaller developers could compete directly with the AAA space. It was like modern indie games with higher production values and modern blockbuster games that weren't just cheap cash grabs.

And all unlockables were on the actual discs, and didn't require extra fees.

This was also the last console generation that felt like the game industry I'd grown up with. More streamlined than sandbox, but as deep as the lack of a hard drive would allow.

And while it lingered on a bit too long, it mostly went out in a blaze of glory.

noah98

Postby noah98 » April 26th, 2021, 5:18 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
noah98 wrote:Ask yourself this, what consoles/games do you still have a desire to play from the past?

*Looks at my most played retro libraries: Atari 2600, original Gameboy, Game Gear, Sega CD, PSone, Saturn, N64, GBA, and Nintendo DS.*

Wow, was I not the target audience for that question.

Also, the PS2 would be the one home retro console I'd own, if I were limited to just one home retro console.

Yeah, it's weaker than the Gamecube and XBox. And it's shaders and textures often suffered, even when compared to the Dreamcast. But it has one of the most expansive libraries of all time. And one of the most varied.

It was the last generation where smaller developers could compete directly with the AAA space. It was like modern indie games with higher production values and modern blockbuster games that weren't just cheap cash grabs.

And all unlockables were on the actual discs, and didn't require extra fees.

This was also the last console generation that felt like the game industry I'd grown up with. More streamlined than sandbox, but as deep as the lack of a hard drive would allow.

And while it lingered on a bit too long, it mostly went out in a blaze of glory.

Lol, I totally get it, that's why I feel like my answer fits this part of the original question, "most people really like..." I see why people still love the PS2, what with its massive library, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as my other consoles. I do agree that it was nice to have a console generation with no updates, installs, DLC, microtransactions, and other nonsense that only made gaming worse! Again, I feel like my opinion is definitely in the minority!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 5:24 pm

PS2 has classics, but for all the classics it has, I can get my fix from other sources.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 26th, 2021, 6:58 pm

MSR1701 wrote:PS2 has classics, but for all the classics it has, I can get my fix from other sources.

That's true for every console.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 7:55 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:PS2 has classics, but for all the classics it has, I can get my fix from other sources.

That's true for every console.

Overall, I agree, though there I wouldn't go to the NGPC for RPGs or the GBC for fighting games. Each system has it's gems and some may enjoy one more than another.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » April 27th, 2021, 5:12 am

I think the Atari 2600 is a console only people who grew up with it really love. My first console was a Sega Master System - never had an Atari 2600. And honestly, I really can't get much fun out of Atari 2600 games, I think because I have no nostalgia for them.

Return to “Classic Gaming”