Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DrLitch

Re: Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Postby DrLitch » April 27th, 2021, 8:40 pm

thunderjohn wrote:I am your opposite. I couldn't get into PS1 or Saturn cause the graphics didn't make any sense. Low polys, low resolutions, low fps, texture warping everywhere. Playing Duke Nukem 3d back in the day on Saturn caused me severe nausea. N64 isn't much better, but it's better.

While the Saturn's and PS1's 3D graphics were not up to much the 2D visuals have aged decently. Some 3D visuals hold up better on the N64 and the expansion pack enabled a small array of titles that seemed to run better than the other two. Shadowman is an all time favorite of mine and that turned out nicely on the N64 with an expansion pack. Lot of terrible titles on N64 3D wise though, very little 2D. The fog, blur, and pesky sub 20fps gameplay for many titles make them unplayable today (although as a kid I am pretty sure I did not care).

The FPS genre was not too hot on the consoles back then, much more PC fodder, despite Goldeneye being a game changer. Even if the graphics came out okay on consoles, i.e. Quake 2, KB/Mouse had it's perks.

jon wrote:I’ll say this. I like the N64 and it has some great games, albeit few. But something about the N64 just feels weird. I don’t even know what it is. Maybe it’s the absurd controller which half of doesn’t even get used for a lot of games. And the blurry graphics are a humongous turnoff. That’s why I thought they should’ve made more games with the Super Mario 64 type childish graphics. The PS1 gave me headaches with its cardboard visuals. And the load times are a disaster. But I don’t know, I don’t get that weird feeling I do with the N64. It was just so different from straight forward consoles.

The thing with the PS1 is game selection. Capcom, Konami, Square, Namco and others were sucking this corporate teat. Yeah, it is quite funny now if you insert Tomb Raider 2 into the PS1 and then start playing. I would take Atari Jaguar graphics over that mess of pixels.

Nintendo pretty much carried the can for N64 and honestly you can give Nintendo a cardboard box stuffed with the innards of a 2600 and they will still figure out how to make something fun out of that. The graphics to N64, while generally an eyesore (some of the worst samples of that gen in my opinion), it also had the best graphics for games that used the expansion pack.

The controller was terrible. I think even worse than the Jaguar's pad or the 3D0's. I wonder if anyone got arthritis in their thumb from playing with the N64.

I agree, there are some good titles on N64. Shadowman was/is amazing, Mario 64 is a classic, Doom 64 is severely underrated, Star Fox 64 and Sin and Punishment are good. After this I am starting to run out of titles. Sure everyone always says Zelda, I am on the fence with this one.

PS1? At least it could play CD's. Insert Kreator, play Doom on the PC until I got yelled at to do chores or my homework.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » April 28th, 2021, 9:04 am

goldenband wrote:The main one for me is the ColecoVision. While impressive at the time, now it just looks so generic, with the MSX, TI-99/4A, and SG-1000 all having the exact same TMS9918 graphics chip, and the same or similar sound chips with no bass frequencies (unless you use a trick to get them).

I also dislike the controllers and the unreliability of the console itself...

Ditto -- I enjoyed the heck out of my ColecoVision back when I was 14-years-old, but this 51-year-old Hawg can't deal with the controllers at all. There are some great games on that system that weren't available elsewhere ("Pepper II" and "Looping" (yes, I loved that one) come to mind immediately), but attacking those games with those terrible controllers is a chore.

Speaking of reliability, the ColecoVision console I had as a kid died a couple of decades ago. I heard a pop, saw some intense blue light for less than a second and then smoke curled up from the old girl. The build quality on those things was awful.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 28th, 2021, 5:36 pm

My calico vision lasted a week after Christmas. It just wouldn't work anymore. When we returned it to Target the lady behind the desk said she couldn't even count how many were returned. When I heard that and got the refund I just loaded up on more 2600 games.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 29th, 2021, 3:49 pm

Being the Nintendo fan that I am you'd think that I'd love the Switch, but I hardly ever touch it! My Super Nintendo gets more use.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 30th, 2021, 12:27 pm

HawgWyld wrote:
goldenband wrote:The main one for me is the ColecoVision. While impressive at the time, now it just looks so generic, with the MSX, TI-99/4A, and SG-1000 all having the exact same TMS9918 graphics chip, and the same or similar sound chips with no bass frequencies (unless you use a trick to get them).

I also dislike the controllers and the unreliability of the console itself...

Ditto -- I enjoyed the heck out of my ColecoVision back when I was 14-years-old, but this 51-year-old Hawg can't deal with the controllers at all. There are some great games on that system that weren't available elsewhere ("Pepper II" and "Looping" (yes, I loved that one) come to mind immediately), but attacking those games with those terrible controllers is a chore.

Speaking of reliability, the ColecoVision console I had as a kid died a couple of decades ago. I heard a pop, saw some intense blue light for less than a second and then smoke curled up from the old girl. The build quality on those things was awful.

in 1984 i had both the ColecoVision and Atari 5200 and even tho i loved Mr Do & Time Pilot i thought the controllers were awful and i liked the 5200 controllers MUCH better (yes i said that!) lol

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 10th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Not so much the console, but I don’t like the SNES controller. More specifically the d-pad. I’ve read a few places it’s apparently recognised as one of the best. But I grew up with the Mega Drive d-pad and that thing is responsive and smooth as butter. Using the SNES d-pad feels stiff and cumbersome to me, especially diagonals.

Kinda bringing it back around to the console... general consensus on the SNES is that the PAL/Japanese designs are far superior. But I think they look like grey heavily-bloated pieces of toast. I much prefer the aesthetic and colour of the NA model, and even those two-tone purple buttons over the red/blue/green/yellow we got. Much stronger visual identity. I don’t think I’ve met anyone else outside of NA who feels that way - even most of y’all who had the purple one seem to prefer what we had.

sliceofawesome

Postby sliceofawesome » May 18th, 2021, 12:33 am

mbd36 wrote:
sliceofawesome wrote:I guess mine would be the PS2. During the PS2 era I bought a gamecube. Having a gamecube was great but it was REALLY hard to not want a bunch of cool games that PS2 owners were getting. But with Gaming computer and gamecube at the time I was good.

Since then I've went back and have collected games for Nes, Genesis, PS1, Gamecube and a couple PS2. There is something about the PS2 that just seems, meh. Don't get me wrong there are some A+ titles on it and with it's massive library there is something for everyone. I've tried playing there A+ titles "God of War" and "Ratchet & Clank" and I just can't do it.

I sort of agree.

I first got the PS2 in 2010. I particularly enjoyed the God of War series and Outrun 2006 but found the console to be meh overall. I
sold it because it was just collecting dust.

Also didn't care much for XBOX outside of Ninja Gaiden and Dreamcast outside of Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure.

Yeah I'm the same with the Xbox. The PS2 and Xbox were really starting to feel like just PCs to me. That was cool but I already had a PC. The gamecube, while not THAT much different just seems more fun.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 18th, 2021, 11:09 am

Toss me into the ring as someone who pretty much never turns on the N64. I will routinely play PS1, 3DO, and Saturn games, but I haven't hooked up my N64 in years. For me it's not the poor sound quality, weirdo controller, or the awful foggy graphics. It's the library of games. It's really not that interesting or exciting. Plus, most of the system's best games have been ported to other Nintendo consoles or handhelds.

I'm a person that can find good games on any system and the N64 does have some gems. However, there just aren't enough good ones to make me keep the thing hooked up. Last time I played it was at a friend's house prior to the apocalypse and we played Space Station Silicon Valley...a favorite from my childhood. I was gutted at how poorly the game held up. It doesn't help that on a modern HD TV the RCA connection of the N64 makes for a terrible graphical experience.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 18th, 2021, 11:38 am

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Toss me into the ring as someone who pretty much never turns on the N64. I will routinely play PS1, 3DO, and Saturn games, but I haven't hooked up my N64 in years. For me it's not the poor sound quality, weirdo controller, or the awful foggy graphics. It's the library of games. It's really not that interesting or exciting. Plus, most of the system's best games have been ported to other Nintendo consoles or handhelds.

I'm a person that can find good games on any system and the N64 does have some gems. However, there just aren't enough good ones to make me keep the thing hooked up. Last time I played it was at a friend's house prior to the apocalypse and we played Space Station Silicon Valley...a favorite from my childhood. I was gutted at how poorly the game held up. It doesn't help that on a modern HD TV the RCA connection of the N64 makes for a terrible graphical experience.

The only games that are N64-only that I can't readily access on other platforms that I would play (that come to mind) are Killer Instinct Gold and Goldeneye.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 19th, 2021, 9:56 am

I’ve almost picked up Killer Instinct Gold a few times. I know I’m never gonna hook up the N64 to play it though.

Return to “Classic Gaming”