Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2021, 5:19 pm

I have some great memories of the Nintendo 64 (Star Wars Pod Racer blew me away) but I have to admit those foggy/blurry graphics have not aged particularly well. I'd say the Playstation One has aged better, and maybe even the Saturn for that matter.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » May 19th, 2021, 5:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have some great memories of the Nintendo 64 (Star Wars Pod Racer blew me away) but I have to admit those foggy/blurry graphics have not aged particularly well. I'd say the Playstation One has aged better, and maybe even the Saturn for that matter.

Saturn had a Pod racing game? Or do you mean Dreamcast?

I would take the N64 version over the GBC game, never was a fan of top down racers on classic handhelds.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 19th, 2021, 9:14 pm

Out of all my Nintendo consoles the Switch gets played the least.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 6th, 2021, 8:51 pm

Let's see, a little late to this party but here we go.

As far as modern systems go, other than the remakes of the RE games, (2+3) I really don't have any desire OTHER than my switch. My switch gets a lot of game play thanks to mobile mode. I even just recently played through BOTW again, this time making it a point to find all the memories. I was hoping it would change the ending, but I don't think it did. (Was the scene with Zelda walking to the Zora kingdom at the end normally? I don't remember...)

And I love the virtual NES and SNES. Playing golf or Dr. Mario or Kirby Golf is a great way to unwind for bed.

As far as some of the popular, more modern retroish systems are concerned, The PS3, Wii, and Wii U I honestly don't have much interest in.

And as far as the genuinely retro systems go N64 is my least interesting. I play Mario 64 and pokemon snap on it. Literally nothing else.

I would like to defend the PS2 a little bit though. While comparing it to the Xbox and GC aren't a favorable comparison, it also came out before them, has perfect backwards compatibility and worked as a DVD player when they were still crazy expensive. Mine still gets occasional DVD use, and since it is compatible with my PS1 collection the library is realistically the largest of all my systems. My PS2 has realistically gotten the most hours of all my systems over its lifetime. Yeah, it doesn't look as good as the Cube or Xbox, or honestly even the Dreamcast most of the time, but it is fantastically functional, and between the PS1 and 2 libraries has some of my absolute favorite games ever. (SOTN, FFT, and Godhand just for 3.)

Anyway, enough about defending a system. Back on topic!

For me personally the generations before the NES don't appeal to me. I grew up with multiple atari models, and my Apple IIe was a genuinely beloved old thing. When I was younger the atari 2600, 5200, and that old Apple IIe got huge amounts of time, but nowadays I'd rather play arcade perfect versions of those old games if I play them, and the games on the old Apple II (Like Wizardry or Bard's Tale) are available with better versions on GOG and the like.

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » September 21st, 2021, 4:38 pm

Dreamcast and Gamecube I feel are both overrated, not in that they're not good, because they sure are(Gamecube especially) but in the way that they're so many peoples favorites of all time. I think a lot of that is being their first consoles which is a strong force, but in general too. They're both very good consoles but I don't think they should be considered the best of all time.
For me personally I think the N64 is the one I like the least(not to say I dislike it), of the main big ones (unless you count Sega Master System as a contender, because then it's that).

jon

Postby jon » September 21st, 2021, 11:10 pm

JohanOberg wrote:Dreamcast and Gamecube I feel are both overrated, not in that they're not good, because they sure are(Gamecube especially) but in the way that they're so many peoples favorites of all time. I think a lot of that is being their first consoles which is a strong force, but in general too. They're both very good consoles but I don't think they should be considered the best of all time.
For me personally I think the N64 is the one I like the least(not to say I dislike it), of the main big ones (unless you count Sega Master System as a contender, because then it's that).

The N64 was terrible at so many genres. There's a lot of revisionist history going on with the love it gets.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 21st, 2021, 11:41 pm

jon wrote:
JohanOberg wrote:Dreamcast and Gamecube I feel are both overrated, not in that they're not good, because they sure are(Gamecube especially) but in the way that they're so many peoples favorites of all time. I think a lot of that is being their first consoles which is a strong force, but in general too. They're both very good consoles but I don't think they should be considered the best of all time.

The N64 was terrible at so many genres. There's a lot of revisionist history going on with the love it gets.

I disagree, as the N64 was praised for many games both by print press and gamers both pre release and during its lifetime.

Yes the N64 has areas where it is VERY challenged (read - RPGs), though there are many gems, such as Killer Instinct Gold, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, Crusin USA, Doom 64, and Super Mario 64 (the latter has only been replaced in my heart by Odyssey as my go-to 3D Mario). Some ports are also really well done on the 64, such as Resident Evil 2 (the one classic RE game I don't mind playing, mainly due to control options), and there are gems to be found hidden within, due to rarity and low profile.

Not to say there are not stinkers in the library (oh there are, hello War Gods), and some games have aged badly (I can jump in to SM64 no problem, but find Ocarina of Time to be VERY hard to go back to, especially later dungeons). Also TONs of licensed games and PSX ports which were gutted to squeeze onto carta from CDs.

In the end, the N64 is a unique beast, where it was praised upon release, then forgotten as the PSX kept chugging, a Dream was Cast, and Nintendo went with a Cube, only to resurge later as it hit the Retro threshold.

Oh, and I should note that I'm not a huge fan of the N64 (it is a good system, but I prefer the SNES/GMD/GB(C,A) overall for the older systems, but I don't mind revisiting Smash Bros 64 every-so often, as I do with some PSX games (Jumping Flash, we miss you!)

jon

Postby jon » September 22nd, 2021, 7:20 pm

Being weak in RPG's was the least of the N64's concerns. By the late 1990's trust me the N64 was thought of as a joke compared to the PS1. It basically had the reputation of the Sega Saturn. The library speaks for itself, especially since there's so few games. The N64 was terrible for all sorts of system selling genres. That's why it got outsold by such a massive amount. Also, the left half of the controller was essentially meaningless.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 22nd, 2021, 8:38 pm

jon wrote:

The N64 had DEFINING games for that generation. Nothing revisionist about it. The system had big flaws, like Cartridge format and the lack of RPGs and 3rd party support.

However, Mario 64 set the standard for 3D play. As someone who remembers that era pretty clearly, nothing even got close to that at the time. It was AMAZING.

So was Ocarina of Time, so was Goldeneye, so was Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero 64, and Star Fox 64, just to name a few. (And 4 controller ports standard. Fantastic.)

Nothing the PS1 or Saturn came even close to those games for those types of genres. Sure, the PS1 has absolutely fantastic games, especially RPGs, but to say the N64 was a terrible system that has a revisionist history I don't feel is accurate.

If any system has a revisionist history from that era it is the Saturn. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Saturn, but I've heard all kinds of revisionist history about it. Sales figures, ("Kept up with Sony in Japan! BS.) graphic capabilities, (If you could program for it you could get the best looking games of the generation! BS again.) etc, I've heard/read all kinds of things. The Saturn was only kind of successful in Japan, and even then it still didn't even come close to PS1 sales.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 22nd, 2021, 8:47 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:
jon wrote:

The N64 had DEFINING games for that generation. Nothing revisionist about it. The system had big flaws, like Cartridge format and the lack of RPGs and 3rd party support.

However, Mario 64 set the standard for 3D play. As someone who remembers that era pretty clearly, nothing even got close to that at the time. It was AMAZING.

So was Ocarina of Time, so was Goldeneye, so was Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero 64, and Star Fox 64, just to name a few. (And 4 controller ports standard. Fantastic.)

Nothing the PS1 or Saturn came even close to those games for those types of genres. Sure, the PS1 has absolutely fantastic games, especially RPGs, but to say the N64 was a terrible system that has a revisionist history I don't feel is accurate.

If any system has a revisionist history from that era it is the Saturn. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Saturn, but I've heard all kinds of revisionist history about it. Sales figures, ("Kept up with Sony in Japan! BS.) graphic capabilities, (If you could program for it you could get the best looking games of the generation! BS again.) etc, I've heard/read all kinds of things. The Saturn was only kind of successful in Japan, and even then it still didn't even come close to PS1 sales.

RE the Saturn, it DID sell significantly better in Japan compared to the rest of the world, and DID have great games exclusive to that market. And the 2D on Saturn was superior to the PSX, especially with the RAM cart, given the PSXs limitations forn2D.

Return to “Classic Gaming”