Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Postby matmico399 » April 8th, 2021, 12:50 pm

All right I may get shot for saying this. In some areas they may even be considered heresy. But let me explain.

My first console ever was the Atari 2600. As the years passed I got a C64. I was used to machines with one button. After those I moved on. I skipped the generation and went immediately to the Sega Genesis. It was several years back before I got an NES.

Outside the PS2 and the 2600 the Genesis got the majority of my play time.

When I tried to go back and play the NES, it's very hard for me to get into. As a young man I was spoiled by the three buttons. Trying to play a complicated game with only two buttons just is very unappealing to me. Sure the 2600 only had one button but those games were very rudimentary but good. But I've just never cared for a two button controller on a more advanced console. Just can't get into it.

SpiceWare

Re: Console that most people really like but you don't care for

Postby SpiceWare » April 8th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Similar with me - I went from an Atari VCS to the C= VIC-20 at the end of '81 (the rebranding of the VCS as 2600 occurred a year later).

From then on I gamed on computers until I saw Spyro the Dragon and bought a Playstation. Around the same time I also bought a Sega Nomad (the handheld Genesis).

I have tried NES games, but never got into them.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 9th, 2021, 10:50 am

Every single one that needs to replaced soon after the purchase. Especially, when the library is better than the hardware.

For example, how many NES and PSone owners were forced to buy a spare? And the 360 was inexcusable. Not to mention, the Switch joycons.

But the worst - at least for me - have been the Sony handhelds. Between bad batteries, bad screens, and the Vita just refusing to work one day? I don't care to remember how many problems I've had.

Especially since the PSPs are all as fragile as glass hand grenades. And their UMDs can be destroyed by just getting dirty, if anything manages to get under that plastic and scratch things up.

If you've got pets or children, you'd better guard those things with your life.

It's no wonder why Nintendo has dominated the handheld market...

And I haven't even talked about the worst analog controls ever made.

Still, none of these horrors are as bad as gaming on the C64. If you were including computers in this question, it would have won in a landslide. Most of the action library is like playing Silver Surfer or Batman vs. Radioactive Man on the NES. And those are just the good games!

Now imagine trying to control them all with only one button.

Also, every color was carefully chosen by serial killers, and then strangled to death and buried. No other platform has ever had a palette this depressing.

But the worst part are the load times. If you want to game on this thing, you need to make an appointment in advance.

It's so bad that some of the loading screens are more popular than the games themselves.

I mean, at least the Spectrum had an excuse. It was designed to be affordable above every other consideration. And it overperforms magnificently. Chase HQ was the closest you could get to the arcade game at home, even if it looked like Tiger Electronic's first Super Scaler.

But the C64? Can you imagine all the poor children who waited patiently for Golden Axe to load, only for their descendants to discover there's only one enemy on screen at a time? Or that time when Robocop was literally impossible to beat, because Ocean's ocean was made from the tears of the innocent?

Nothing on consoles can prepare you for the C64.

Buyer beware.

sliceofawesome

Postby sliceofawesome » April 25th, 2021, 11:46 am

I guess mine would be the PS2. During the PS2 era I bought a gamecube. Having a gamecube was great but it was REALLY hard to not want a bunch of cool games that PS2 owners were getting. But with Gaming computer and gamecube at the time I was good.

Since then I've went back and have collected games for Nes, Genesis, PS1, Gamecube and a couple PS2. There is something about the PS2 that just seems, meh. Don't get me wrong there are some A+ titles on it and with it's massive library there is something for everyone. I've tried playing there A+ titles "God of War" and "Ratchet & Clank" and I just can't do it.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 25th, 2021, 4:17 pm

The main one for me is the ColecoVision. While impressive at the time, now it just looks so generic, with the MSX, TI-99/4A, and SG-1000 all having the exact same TMS9918 graphics chip, and the same or similar sound chips with no bass frequencies (unless you use a trick to get them).

I also dislike the controllers and the unreliability of the console itself. The Intellivision's awkward controllers take a lot of guff but at least they offer 16-directional movement and are often used to play games that aren't really twitch- or button-mashing-oriented affairs. The CV is much more arcadey, and those awful side-mounted fire buttons and that nub of a joystick are ergonomic disasters.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 25th, 2021, 5:59 pm

i can't stand the NES...i was one of the 1st kids on my block to have one with R.O.B the Robot when it came out but for some
reason i didn't even like it then and i ended buying a Sega Master System and selling the NES to a friend..to this day i still dislike most of the games and it makes me PO'd when a company will use NES versions of games instead of the arcade roms like Evercade did with the Data East collection

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » April 25th, 2021, 11:30 pm

N64 for me. Easily the worst of the "big" mainstream consoles of all time with probably the worst library as well. It is interesting to emulate the N64 games where even with graphics packs, higher resolution, and modding, one finds that polished turds are still turds.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » April 26th, 2021, 7:44 am

sliceofawesome wrote:I guess mine would be the PS2. During the PS2 era I bought a gamecube. Having a gamecube was great but it was REALLY hard to not want a bunch of cool games that PS2 owners were getting. But with Gaming computer and gamecube at the time I was good.

Since then I've went back and have collected games for Nes, Genesis, PS1, Gamecube and a couple PS2. There is something about the PS2 that just seems, meh. Don't get me wrong there are some A+ titles on it and with it's massive library there is something for everyone. I've tried playing there A+ titles "God of War" and "Ratchet & Clank" and I just can't do it.

I sort of agree.

I first got the PS2 in 2010. I particularly enjoyed the God of War series and Outrun 2006 but found the console to be meh overall. I
sold it because it was just collecting dust.

Also didn't care much for XBOX outside of Ninja Gaiden and Dreamcast outside of Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure.

thunderjohn

Postby thunderjohn » April 26th, 2021, 8:20 am

DrLitch wrote:N64 for me. Easily the worst of the "big" mainstream consoles of all time with probably the worst library as well. It is interesting to emulate the N64 games where even with graphics packs, higher resolution, and modding, one finds that polished turds are still turds.

I am your opposite. I couldn't get into PS1 or Saturn cause the graphics didn't make any sense. Low polys, low resolutions, low fps, texture warping everywhere. Playing Duke Nukem 3d back in the day on Saturn caused me severe nausea. N64 isn't much better, but it's better.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » April 26th, 2021, 8:30 am

Xbox 360, XBONE, PS4, PS5...

I enjoy games of any number of genres across scores of systems; heck, one of the systems I wanted as a kid but had zero chances to get was the Amiga CD32, all for D/Generation (thank you, EGM#55...). For that matter, I also wanted a Jaguar, Genesis and SNES (the latter two I eventually got).

I do enjoy the Atari 2600, Intellivision and such, but at heart I am a portable gamer, and have played and/or owned virtually all "console" portables at one time or another (excluding systems like the Watara Supervision, R-Zone and Microvision).

I will say that it was not until after Crash 3 was out for a year or so that I started caring about the PSX; most 3D games looked HORRIBLE in VG mags back in the day, and PSX and N64 were the worst at this. Amusingly, for as bad as the mags made the Saturn 3D to be, it looked the best in mags due to the bright coloring the system used...

Return to “Classic Gaming”