Gaming before the internet

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Gentlegamer

Re: Gaming before the internet

Postby Gentlegamer » April 13th, 2021, 3:30 pm

C64_Critic wrote:This, to a minor extent for me and my friends. Otherwise, we all just would be playing the same game and we'd trade any information we figured out with each other at school. There simply was no way to get a quick hint/cheat/info if you were stuck in a game back then, it was basically word of mouth or you remained stuck.

This is part of the core philosophy behind the Soulsborne series.

jon

Postby jon » April 13th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I think gaming before the internet was great. I'd go back to like what technology was in 1995, even if I knew the technology I'd be missing out in the future. Magazines were great, especially great was Game Pro among others.

I think that by around 1993-1995 it was much easier to find how to beat a level for example than before. A friend might tell you or you might find out in a magazine. Anywhere from around 1992-1995 was the best.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 10th, 2021, 5:19 pm

I definitely relate to using online or video walkthroughs to help me on retro games when I get stuck.

Doing it now feels kinda cheap, cos it’s so easy to do, I guess. But as a kid, knowing there’s a walkthrough in a magazine, or hearing and sharing secrets and tips at school felt like you were beating the system!

Return to “Classic Gaming”