Laser Ghost (Arcade)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Laser Ghost (Arcade)

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 26th, 2021, 3:27 pm

I was paging through an old GamePro (circa 1991) and in the arcade section I was surprised to see a light gun shooter called Laser Ghost. Apparently the game lets you take aim at ghosts in a haunted house, graveyard, and other spooky settings.

This is one of those examples of arcade games that time forgot. It sounds like a fun, Ghostbuster-like premise. And it's by Sega! I'm sure they could have ported this to the Saturn, if not the Genesis.

Anyway I did a little research and the game did in fact get ported to the Sega Master System. However apparently it's a lot different from the arcade. Sounds like they removed all of the scary parts. Still, I may try to review it.

Anybody else heard of this? Played it?

Zack Burner

Re: Laser Ghost (Arcade)

Postby Zack Burner » April 26th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Thanks to MAME I was able to play this. It's fun for a bit, but once you beat it, you won't want to go back to it. The premise is good, and so is the bestiary, the best thing are the bosses among my favorites are: The movie sign that comes to life, the maggot head in the hotel, the pile of garbage with eyes, and the final boss (Spoilers!) the little girl who turns into two different monsters. The laser idea is novel, but it's not as much fun as Operation Thunderbolt, Alien 3 The Gun, or Beast Busters. Those had some strategy as ammo was limited, here it's just non-stop laser fire and a special flame attack. Good playing through once, but that's it afterwards.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 30th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Zack Burner wrote:Thanks to MAME I was able to play this. It's fun for a bit, but once you beat it, you won't want to go back to it. The premise is good, and so is the bestiary, the best thing are the bosses among my favorites are: The movie sign that comes to life, the maggot head in the hotel, the pile of garbage with eyes, and the final boss (Spoilers!) the little girl who turns into two different monsters. The laser idea is novel, but it's not as much fun as Operation Thunderbolt, Alien 3 The Gun, or Beast Busters. Those had some strategy as ammo was limited, here it's just non-stop laser fire and a special flame attack. Good playing through once, but that's it afterwards.

how do you play it on MAME? you just poke at the screen right?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 1st, 2021, 7:14 pm

ASalvaro wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:Thanks to MAME I was able to play this. It's fun for a bit, but once you beat it, you won't want to go back to it. The premise is good, and so is the bestiary, the best thing are the bosses among my favorites are: The movie sign that comes to life, the maggot head in the hotel, the pile of garbage with eyes, and the final boss (Spoilers!) the little girl who turns into two different monsters. The laser idea is novel, but it's not as much fun as Operation Thunderbolt, Alien 3 The Gun, or Beast Busters. Those had some strategy as ammo was limited, here it's just non-stop laser fire and a special flame attack. Good playing through once, but that's it afterwards.

You don't poke at the screen you just move the cursor around, you should see a crosshair depending on the version of MAME you're using.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 1st, 2021, 8:06 pm

You can play light gun games on a PC using Aimtrack guns or the latest and greatest technology is called Sindens. Aimtrack guns require a sensor above your screen similar to the Wii sensor.

The Sinden guns use a camera within the gun and require a white border around the gameplay image. Both are hard to get at the moment due to demand.

I have two Aimtrack guns with recoil in my arcade cabinet. The recoil is a one pull one recoil effect. It doesn't replicate the rapid firing shooting action of Revolution X or Operation Wolf. But it works fine for games where you're not holding the trigger down constantly. Although, I turned mine off as it was a bit too much for me.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 1st, 2021, 8:47 pm

Zack Burner wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:

You don't poke at the screen you just move the cursor around, you should see a crosshair depending on the version of MAME you're using.

ohh ok when i played Operation Wolf on Mame on my Android tablet to shoot you just poked on the screen and it worked pretty well

Return to “Classic Gaming”