Castlevania Ressurection for Dreamcast

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Castlevania Ressurection for Dreamcast

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2021, 3:14 pm

This article really drew my attention. I remember reading about a Castlevania game in one of my Dreamcast magazines, and was really bummed out when it was canceled.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/04/ ... -canceled/

I'm going to see if I can burn a copy so I can review it!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Castlevania Ressurection for Dreamcast

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 22nd, 2021, 7:41 pm

Any luck?

From what I've seen, game balancing hasn't even been attempted, and even collision detection is sometimes completely gone. It's like making some levels, and placing some gameplay assets, and seeing whether or not they can work without crashing the entire thing.

Can something in that state even be reviewed as a game?

Or will you be reviewing it like a piece of history? (i.e. Is it worth the download for series fans, aspiring developers, and gaming historians?)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 23rd, 2021, 7:59 am

I tried burning it but no luck. If somebody wants to send me a burned copy I'll be happy to pay postage and handling.

If it's not playable (as I suspect) I would assign it the prototype icon and give it a grade of NA. In the review I would do my best to describe what there is it. So yeah - like a piece of history. Might be fascinating.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 17th, 2021, 12:35 pm

PM sent, Critic!

I've been working on some other homebrew projects in recent weeks, and finally got this one up and running, myself. As TPG noted, there's not a whole lot of "game" there, but I was honestly shocked at how just far along the project seemed to be. Without giving much away, at least the game is stable, and allows you to do basic attacks and engage with enemies and objects as you move through the levels. Heck, that's more than I can say for some *finished* games that I've played!
Last edited by Matchstick on June 26th, 2021, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 19th, 2021, 5:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:If somebody wants to send me a burned copy...

Edit / Bump: I tried sending a PM, but days later, it still says it's sitting in my outbox. HM. Maybe you'd have better luck messaging me directly, instead? At any rate, if you're still looking for a working copy, I've got your back 8-)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Matchstick - Sorry I do not use the private messages here. I forgot they even exist!
I wonder if I can disable them for myself?

Please send me an email instead.

Thanks

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 26th, 2021, 1:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Please send me an email instead.

E-mail sent... I think?? I followed the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the main page and sent a message through there. Hopefully it didn't get eaten by the spam filter :?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Yeah did it say "testing"? I replied to that.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 26th, 2021, 5:51 pm

HMMMM. Nope, mine was a complete letter. I did tag it to send a copy to my e-mail address, which I did receive. But it does not look like I received a response to the message I sent, which was a week ago, on the 19th.

I'll try again shortly. This one will be a simple, "Hi, it's Matchstick." Fingers crossed!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 19th, 2021, 7:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I replied to that.

I think my last message may have gotten gobbled up by the spam filter, too. I sent a message to the general "Email Feedback" address posted on the main page - videogamecritic@gmail.com - back on July 3rd. Maybe the problem is on my end? I'll sort through my e-mail settings today and see if I can find your reply.

In the meantime, here's a bump! Hopefully one of us on these boards can hook you up with the demo disc. It is definitely worth playing and seeing with your own eyes, especially if you were hyped for it back in the day.

Return to “Classic Gaming”