What if a bad game has a good mode

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

What if a bad game has a good mode

Postby jon » May 6th, 2021, 9:49 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot. Triple Play '98 has an amazing home run derby. However, the actual gameplay of a real game is so outdated and terrible. It's pretty boring after a while. It must be hard to grade games like this. Another game that I think of is College Hoops 2k8. That game has an amazing practice mode like taking 3 pointers for fun or in mini games. Although I know the 360 version got a really good grade. But Triple Play '98 is a great example. This is one thing that's great about video games. Bad games can have an amazing home run derby or some redeeming quality.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: What if a bad game has a good mode

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 8th, 2021, 7:12 pm

WWF Warzone is a great example of this. It was the first game released for Western consoles where you could create your own characters, beyond the most primitive "name this template".

And that was where I spent most of my time, because the actual gameplay was stiff and slow, despite all the motion capture. Back then, it was just enough to see and control your own creations for a change. Even friends who hated wrestling were immediately hooked.

And that lasted for as long as there were bad wrestling games with great CAW systems attached.

One of them, wouldn't watch a single moment of RAW or Nitro with me, but she spent hours working on her entrances in the X-Box's RAW 2. For her, the real game was getting the music synced up with the pyro, and expressing more emotion than the paint by numbers story mode would allow.

Return to “Classic Gaming”