Losing a console

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Losing a console

Postby matmico399 » May 14th, 2021, 6:51 pm

This is a fairly simple question. I certainly don't have all the system that the VGC has, but I do have a pretty nice collection of consoles. If you had to kick One console out of your system, which would it be? If I still had it it would be an easy choice the 32x. Of all the consoles I own currently I would say the N64. What about you?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Losing a console

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2021, 7:55 pm

Probably my Xbox One. That thing has been my biggest dust collector. With Microsoft not even attempting to produce exclusives any more, it really doesn't serve much of a purpose if you have a PS4.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 15th, 2021, 9:21 am

Xbox One definitely considering the PC picks up most content exclusive to it. Of course if one does not game on a PC this is moot for that scenario.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » May 16th, 2021, 10:23 am

No one. I still have all my consoles I ever acquired except one... and I don't play all of of them all the time. However, I still feel kind of sorry I haven't got my Sega Master System anymore - I really liked that system. So, if you really push me now to get rid of a platform... I'd say my Nokia N-Gage. 8-)

Breaker

Postby Breaker » May 16th, 2021, 1:14 pm

I could most easily do without my PS4. I essentially use it for the blu-ray capabilities.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 16th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Mine would either be my Xbox One or PS3. Both of those rarely ever get use from me. I honestly have them just to have them at this point.

As for systems that I have lost, my parents forced me to give up my NES and Genesis for me to get a Saturn for Christmas. (How screwed up is that, "Want a christmas present? You have to give up your beloved systems!")

Literally over 20 years later I still hold some resentment for that. I had games like Powerblade that sell for enormous amounts of money now. And I was a sega fan, (obviously getting a Saturn over a PS1) so giving up my genesis just hurt.

My family also had several old atari systems. A few 2600's and a later one that I can't remember. They got rid of those too (and the ENORMOUS box of games they had) but I wasn't attached to those like I was the 8 bit and 16 bit machines.

I also got rid of my PS1 because the PS2 ran everything just fine. Still don't regret that. My original large PS2 still works fine today. (Though I will have to do the 'laser adjustment' thing soon. There is the occasional PS1 game that has a hard time reading, but it still works great with all PS2 games and DVDs.)

strat

Postby strat » May 16th, 2021, 3:41 pm

If I had to lose a console with a decent library of games not covered by backwards compatibility, probably Sega Saturn. It has good games, but not enough of them are that good. I could get rid of my GC and Wii, but that's kinda cheating when both can be played on Wii U.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 16th, 2021, 5:14 pm

Somewhere around here, I have an educational handheld that comes with a Sonic Advance mutation. And an unnecessary cruelty to Indiana Jones. It really struggles with the parts that aren't educational or multimedia.

I have no idea where it is, at the moment, but only because I haven't looked.

Runner-up: A Famicom clone shaped like an 8-bit Gameboy. It even has jagged pixels on the edges. Only the Data East games aren't pirated rom hacks/original games too shallow for Wario Ware.

Second runner-up: Imagine an LCD Tetris handheld that tries to play Frogger, Battle City, and Quarth as well. It's not bad, for what it is.

But if I had to lose a real console: The Vita that randomly self-destructed?

No, wait. I'd probably sacrifice the PS3 first. I'm still holding out hope that the Vita can be repaired.

djc

Postby djc » May 16th, 2021, 8:30 pm

The Ouya on account that it's pretty much a stuck in time door stop/paperweight now. If I had to pick a "real" console, I'd say the PS3 which I have never even powered on since adding it to my collection.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 17th, 2021, 5:16 am

Xbox One for sure. What a huge disappointment. I was the biggest Xbox 360 fan, probably one of my favorite consoles of all time. I played it constantly and had hundreds of games for it. Flash forward to the Xbox One and what a dud! I agree with the critic, if you have a PS4, no need for an Xbox One.

Return to “Classic Gaming”