Do you own any systems you've never tried playing? (Me: Atari 5200)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Do you own any systems you've never tried playing? (Me: Atari 5200)

Postby Retro STrife » May 17th, 2021, 1:20 am

It was the mid-2000s.. I was on a system collecting streak and was willing to collect any console, when a flea market video game dude saw me browsing his games and could tell I was the right guy to offer his Atari 5200 set for $25. And at that price, he was exactly right.

In the years since, I've put together 20+ games for the system. I've snagged a few extra controllers, since they're known to break. And I come across the VGC's A+ Realsports Baseball review from time to time and look forward to pulling the game off my shelf. And yet... I've never even hooked up the system! It's sitting right there on my gameroom shelf.. the colossal monstrosity that it is, you can't miss it. The odd switchbox mechanism is another 5 feet away, easily accessible in the closet. And here I am, 15+ years after buying the thing, not even knowing if it works!

Why? I don't really know. The Atari 5200 is a weird console, you have to admit. Caught between the 2600 and 7200.. it doesn't seem to offer much that those consoles don't have. Plus all the other superior competitors of the era. And as it is, I don't play pre-NES consoles all that often. Still, maybe this summer I'll finally give it a shot - baseball season sounds like a good reason.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Do you own any systems you've never tried playing? (Me: Atari 5200)

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 17th, 2021, 10:15 am

A 360.

I've played other 360's. And I can't say why I never even attempted to play this one. (I'm not even sure it made it over in the move.) Perhaps it's because my 360 collection was stolen? Some of those games were gifts from my father, and they can't be replaced.

I'd give up every game I own, if I could just spend one more day with him.

Return to “Classic Gaming”