Joystick of Choice?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Joystick of Choice?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2021, 5:50 pm

This is my current Atari 2600 joystick of choice - the Tron joystick (by M-Network). This this is very comfortable, has a trigger button, and the cords rolls up in the base.

What is your joystick of choice?

matmico399

Re: Joystick of Choice?

Postby matmico399 » May 24th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Wico bat handle. I serves every thing I need. I don't think they make 'em any better. Had mine for over 20 years.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Ahh yes I still use mine quite often! You're right - that thing is super durable.

After the human race is long gone the only thing left on this planet will be twinkies, cockroaches, and Wico bat handles.

That's a FACT!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 24th, 2021, 8:55 pm

Mine's the D-dad on my Flashback portable.

It's squishy and not to be trusted.

But I'm still in awe of having my entire 2600 library with me wherever I go. And since I survived the Intellivision disc, a bad d-pad barely counts as a challenge.

Edit: But if we're counting every 2600 controller we've ever owned, the Sega Genesis controller has to rank near the best. Or the paddle controllers; gone but never forgotten.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 25th, 2021, 8:00 am

I actually use a brand new/refurbished original 2600 controller made by Best Electronics:

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/joystick.htm#PCB

Brand new, but using different/upgraded boards and parts, and is guaranteed to last. It's a bit clicky when moving the joystick, but I'll take that over non-responsive controllers anytime.

I also got the paddles with a new improved pedometer from the same company and it works perfectly!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Wait just a cotton-pickin minute! Best Electronics is selling bionic joysticks and paddles and I didn't know?? I would definitely be in the market for stuff like this.

Are these the people who insist you pay using some obscure service? I don't know if it was these guys or B&C Electronics, but they didn't accept paypal!

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 26th, 2021, 7:58 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Wait just a cotton-pickin minute! Best Electronics is selling bionic joysticks and paddles and I didn't know?? I would definitely be in the market for stuff like this.

Are these the people who insist you pay using some obscure service? I don't know if it was these guys or B&C Electronics, but they didn't accept paypal!

Yea, their website and ordering methods are very outdated! The website is a mess, but, the stuff they sell in amazing. It's brand new official Atari products (with their own upgrades) The guy who runs it is very nice and easy to deal with.

I have 2 sets of their paddles and 2 joysticks, and it's all I'll ever need.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » May 26th, 2021, 9:00 am

bluenote wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Wait just a cotton-pickin minute! Best Electronics is selling bionic joysticks and paddles and I didn't know?? I would definitely be in the market for stuff like this.

Yea, their website and ordering methods are very outdated! The website is a mess, but, the stuff they sell in amazing. It's brand new official Atari products (with their own upgrades) The guy who runs it is very nice and easy to deal with.

I have 2 sets of their paddles and 2 joysticks, and it's all I'll ever need.

Total agreement with bluenote here. Their stuff is a tad expensive but the quality is incredible on Atari and after market Atari products. The owner is a little eccentric but he helped through a session of Q&A emails to restore and upgrade my 800xl.

If you have the patience for it, try to navigate that maze of a website, you'd be amazed at some of the things available on it.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » May 26th, 2021, 10:04 am

Critic, you know my answer - the Suncom TAC-2, a fantastic tank of a joystick with as precise-feeling joystick action as I've ever encountered:
tac2.jpg
tac2.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 942 times

I am curious about that Tron joystick from Mattel though, it's definitely nice that the cord will wind up into the base but how is it as an actual joystick? Compared to, say, your standard Atari 2600 joystick or the Wico or something else along those lines? I would imagine it would take some getting used to using a trigger like that in place of a joystick button.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Most of my old joysticks I've used as a kid are long gone now. But this one here is very similar to the one I would have considered my go to back in the day.. I really liked the way it felt, and it lasted a pretty long time. Which can't be said of some of the others I had. Nowadays, if I'm sitting back and playing some good ol Atari 2600, I either use a Genesis controller or just play the games on my pC via emulation or my Atari Flashback handheld...
Attachments
Atari-Joystick.jpg
Atari-Joystick.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Return to “Classic Gaming”