Joystick of Choice?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Joystick of Choice?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 5th, 2021, 4:29 pm

snakeboy wrote:I used a prefabricated hinged box I bought on Amazon, stained the sides, and my wife burned the Atari logo onto it. I also added buttons for up and down for games like Asteroids.

20210604_160348.jpg

Nicely done snakeboy - and the wood grain isn't even fake! Sounds like you have quite the wife to take an active interest in the project.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 5th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Also had one of these as a kid. Definitely went through my fair share of joysticks over the years haha. This one wasn't too bad, though it always felt a little stiff to me. That is, when it worked properly. Like a lot of the cheap tird party 'sticks I had, this one crapped out fairly quickly on me...
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.9 KiB) Viewed 660 times

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 5th, 2021, 4:58 pm

snakeboy wrote:I used a prefabricated hinged box I bought on Amazon, stained the sides, and my wife burned the Atari logo onto it. I also added buttons for up and down for games like Asteroids.

20210604_160348.jpg

Wow. This looks incredible. How long did it take for you and your wife to finish it?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » June 6th, 2021, 7:43 am

lynchie137 wrote:Wow. This looks incredible. How long did it take for you and your wife to finish it?

Hmm, good question. Couple of hours maybe? It's hard to say because I did it in bits and pieces over several days. The logo was actually done pretty quickly - my wife whipped that up in no time.

Actually, with the right tools and know-how (a couple things I had precious little of when I made this), this could be knocked out pretty fast. Like I said before, everything is pretty simple. The wiring involves simply connecting a half dozen or so wires to each other - no soldering required if you don't know how or want to (I didn't).

VideoGameCritic wrote:Nicely done snakeboy - and the wood grain isn't even fake! Sounds like you have quite the wife to take an active interest in the project.

Yeah, she's pretty great. An art teacher too, so making that logo was no problem for her.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2021, 9:05 am

Plus, wood is a soft and warm material. No rough edges like a piece of plastic would have.
Also like the fact that this is one of a kind.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2021, 9:06 am

ASalvaro wrote:my favorite since my Atari 800xl days in the mid 80s!

I love the design of this Pointmaster. Never heard of it, but tempted to add it to the collection.
Looks like they are pretty common on Ebay.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 6th, 2021, 11:48 am

This is my current all-purpose joystick, mainly for PC games. Madcatz doesn't have the best rep in the arcade stick business but this is one of their nicer models:

resized joystick.jpg
resized joystick.jpg (199.46 KiB) Viewed 625 times

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:my favorite since my Atari 800xl days in the mid 80s!

I love the design of this Pointmaster. Never heard of it, but tempted to add it to the collection.
Looks like they are pretty common on Ebay.

it was pretty sturdy altho i did snap one while playing Donkey Kong On the 800xl lol
i bought another one and it lasted me into my C64 days

Return to “Classic Gaming”