Atari 2600 issue - static bands

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari 2600 issue - static bands

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 12th, 2021, 9:31 pm

So I noticed my Darth Vader 2600 is starting to get some static-y electro-magnetic interference bands moving up the screen - about three evenly spaced. Swapped out the power supply and that wasn't it.

I started snooping around YouTube and found some potentially helpful videos. I don't think any addressed my problem specifically, but a few explained how some of the capacitors can go bad and how to replace them. I'm thinking I might have a little project on my hands this weekend.

If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears. It would be satisfying to fix this on my own.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Atari 2600 issue - static bands

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Well, I fired up my 2600 tonight. Continuing to review Circus Convey. And guess what - no static or lines!

So what was the source of the interference last night? My bet is on paranormal activity.

envytomdead

Postby envytomdead » July 14th, 2021, 7:44 pm

I had issues with my 7800 picking up more interference. I think possibly that there is more interference now then there was back in the day. I had that 7800 modded and I didn't have anymore issues unless I went rf out.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2021, 7:51 pm

It's funny, I'm seeing a similar issue (but less obvious) on my LED TV, where I'm watching (low-def) cable TV. There's some kind of interference in my game room I think. Strange.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 14th, 2021, 9:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well, I fired up my 2600 tonight... and guess what - no static or lines!

That's great! Glad things seem to have sorted themselves out!

I will say, as much good info as there is on the Internet, I think the message that is conveyed too often is that your console is having a serious problem (like capacitors, as you noted) and that your only option is to order new parts and break out the soldering iron to fix it. However, that is not always the case! I wish there was more attention given to practical solutions, as sometimes a system that is acting up just needs a good cleaning, or to have its connecting cables re-seated.

In my own experience, I have certain outlets in my house (likely using century-old knob and tube wiring) that work fine for lamps or phone chargers, but do not carry enough current to run a TV and game console. I have had several interference problems over the years that were solved simply by moving to another room, or connecting to another outlet, or using a different A/V cable.

We've also had to re-arrange our entire living room as the previous owner of this house put in a "smart" thermostat, which wreaks havoc with our wifi and bluetooth signals. Hopefully, whatever solution you find doesn't involve anything that drastic!

I know these classic systems aren't getting any younger, but it's always best to take the simplest steps to solve problems first before diving head-first into a full-on system repair. Again, glad your 2600 is working better, Critic, and I hope you can identify the source of any interference issues in your game room. Are you close to any EMF-emitting large appliances, like a dryer, furnace, or dehumidifier? Or are you near the breaker box?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2021, 8:04 pm

I went around a few more times on this issue before finally narrowing it down.

Believe it or not, the static was caused by my Macbook Pro power adapter (which charges the computer). Plug it into my computer, the static appears on my TVs.

I suspect it might have been a knockoff adapter I got off Amazon (dirt cheap no doubt). So now I only plug in my computer when it needs a charge.

Keep this in mind in case you ever run into similar circumstances.

The good news is, nothing wrong with my 40 year old Atari 2600. Let's see how well my PS4 is working in 40 years!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 14th, 2021, 1:25 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Believe it or not, the static was caused by my Macbook Pro power adapter (which charges the computer). Plug it into my computer, the static appears on my TVs.

Oh, I 100% believe that. Glad you got it all sorted out!

I'm also glad that you found a simple, practical solution to the problem. I find that most people tend to over-react in similar circumstances. Yes, some of these old consoles need some major work inside, but it's always best to try the simples approaches first before reaching for the screwdrivers and solder.

Not to repeat myself, but while YouTube videos can be very helpful in diagnosing problems, they can also lead people to believe that they're having a major issue when, in reality, they aren't. It's ultimately up to the viewer to do some research and determine the best way to go forward. Every situation is unique - like this one.

In the spirit of taking advice from strangers on the Internet, can I make a recommendation, Critic? My earlier post mentioned how I had problematic outlets in my home. I recently bought an outlet tester like this one, which is available for $6 or so at Home Depot or Amazon:

In going around my home and testing every outlet, I found that the ones that were giving me issues were either improperly grounded, or had their positive and negative terminals reversed - or both! It was a weekend project, but I went around to each wonky outlet and re-wired them correctly. Haven't had an issue since.

I'm not saying your home has any issues with wiring (mine's over 100 years old, and has plenty of issues!) but if you fancy yourself an amateur electrician and want some peace of mind, I definitely recommend it. You really can't be too careful when it comes to protecting your hard-to-replace vintage electronics from faulty wiring.

Return to “Classic Gaming”