Am I the only one who is low-key impressed with N64 graphics?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VicViper

Re: Am I the only one who is low-key impressed with N64 graphics?

Postby VicViper » August 26th, 2021, 3:16 am

Robotrek wrote:I much preferred the PlayStation in the 90s, and to this day there's no doubt to me that the PlayStation is the superior console. I actually think most PlayStation games look better than N64 games due to their lack of blur, an annoying aspect of the system. I mean yes it reduces jaggies, but it makes the games look like they're covered in Vaseline.

i completely agree tbh. N64 graphics lack a lot of the detail of the PS1, and the screen filter looks unappealing to me. The 3D is more "solid" and characters have more polygons, but it always looked very barren to me, and framerates were looooow. People meme on the Saturn version of Tomb Raider (whose build was 1 month older than the PS1's) and yet that's still smoother in general than the regular N64 experience.

The damned thing was constructed with too many bottlenecks: very low texture cache, bad RAM latency, gimped storage with carts... PS1 might have been less powerful, but it was much better balanced. It's worse than the SNES VS Mega Drive situation with the SNES being better at everything except it was gimped on the CPU side, but at least the SNES would still be regularly on par or superior to the Mega Drive.

Return to “Classic Gaming”