Amiga 500 Mini Announced! (Early 2022)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Re: Amiga 500 Mini Announced! (Early 2022)

Postby MSR1701 » August 31st, 2021, 9:54 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:This looks great, but speaking as someone not very familiar with the Amiga, are these 25 built-in games a good cross-section of its library? It seems to me these remakes tend to miss a lot of key titles due to licensing issues.

Is it possible to load more games into it?

The details on Amazon list that games can be added, though with the Amiga, I am curious as to how this will be handled. Not sure if the CD32 ISOs will be supported, and/or how multi-disk games (looking at you, Beneath a Steel Sky and your dozen disks), or if CD Image files for regular Amiga hardware (which was a VERY late thing for the Amiga).

And for a cross-section of the Amiga library, 25 games barely scratch the surface. From Point and Click titles, to Arcade Clones, to Platformers, to Shooters, to Puzzle, to RPG, to I Don't Want to Know What (see Weird Dreams below), there are TONs of games, though a significant amount did make their way over to the Genesis, thanks to similar hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDG4EwWJVU

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » August 31st, 2021, 10:38 am

Anybody know if Earl Weaver Baseball would be included among the 25 games?

Absolutely zero knowledge of the Amiga but EWB is one of the very few games out there that I missed out on and would love to get a crack at it.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 31st, 2021, 3:42 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This looks great, but speaking as someone not very familiar with the Amiga, are these 25 built-in games a good cross-section of its library? It seems to me these remakes tend to miss a lot of key titles due to licensing issues.

Is it possible to load more games into it?

yup via USB

Wehrwolf

Postby Wehrwolf » August 31st, 2021, 9:03 pm

From Zool on Resetera (looks like he only listed 24 of the 25 though):

Alien Breed 3D
Alien Breed SE'92
Arcade Pool
Another World
ATR: All-terrain Racing
Battle Chess
Cadaver
Cannon Fodder
Gods
Kick Off 2
Mego lo Mania
Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight
Pinball Dreams
Project-X SE'93
Qwak
Simon the Sorcerer
Slam-Tilt
Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
Super Cars II
SuperFrog
Super Stardust
The Chaos Engine
Worms: The Director's Cut
Zool: Ninja Of The 'nth Dimension
Last edited by Wehrwolf on August 31st, 2021, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 31st, 2021, 9:06 pm

Can an Amiga expert let me know what the "premiere" Amiga games were? The ones that were most popular?

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 31st, 2021, 9:38 pm

Teddybear wrote:Anybody know if Earl Weaver Baseball would be included among the 25 games?

Absolutely zero knowledge of the Amiga but EWB is one of the very few games out there that I missed out on and would love to get a crack at it.

you would LOVE it..when i owned the Amiga back in 91-92 EWB was the game i spent the most time on..it has a great atmosphere and one of the best baseball games ever...btw there is a graphic glitch on EWB with emulators so if you see it on youtube and it doesn't look right its because of the emulator

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 31st, 2021, 9:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can an Amiga expert let me know what the "premiere" Amiga games were? The ones that were most popular?

The Chaos Engine,Sensible Soccer,Zool.Shadow Of The Beast,Earl Weaver Baseball to name a few

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 1st, 2021, 1:38 am

ASalvaro wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Can an Amiga expert let me know what the "premiere" Amiga games were? The ones that were most popular?

The Chaos Engine,Sensible Soccer,Zool.Shadow Of The Beast,Earl Weaver Baseball to name a few

I was excited when I read this, but I'm kind of disappointed with the list of games so far. Yes, some of the most popular games are included (Another World, Pinball Dreams, Simon the Sorcerer, Speedball, Chaos Engine, Worms), but I'd also like to see Sensible Soccer, Sensible Golf, Sensible Trainspotting, Cannon Fodder, Beneath a Steel Sky, Oscar, Rise of the Dragon, Elite II: Frontier, Inherit the Earth, Lotus, Ishar, Fury of the Furries, Last Ninja, Syndicatie. Just to name a few.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 1st, 2021, 8:59 am

So many games were popular, though you have to be cautious due to some games being popular for reasons other than gameplay. See Shadows of the Beast for an example.

Assuming CD32 support is included, here are a few games that would be worth checking out:

Guardian (CD32) - StarFox crossed with Defender, and a very impressive showcase of the Amiga hardware
Beneath a Steel Sky (CD32 specifically, though the disk version is also good) - a VERY good point and click game, the CD32 is not the best version of the game (the audio is a bit scratchy), but doesn't diminish the quality of the game.
Turrican series (though the Turrican series started on the C64, the Amiga had some of the best releases outside of modern ports, and are worth trying for the soundtracks alone)
Lemmings - of all the versions of Lemmings made, the Amiga originals are supposed to be the best even after all the assorted releases over the years
D/Generation (CD32) - an old DOS game, the CD32 was praised at the time for having a version with a controller that worked well (which given the LACK of quality of the CD32 Controller, speaks volumes for how well this ran). Versions are on digital services these days, but the old versions still hold up well)
Speedball 2 - supposed to be one of the best sports games ever (I haven't tried the Amiga original, only the console/portable ports)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 1st, 2021, 12:48 pm

Oh and Savage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKyMuuY_lTA); I want to give this a go, knowing the game is not good, but dang it, the music is deliciously cheesy, and I want to give the Quick End Glitch a go...

Return to “Classic Gaming”