He-Man for the PS2?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

He-Man for the PS2?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2021, 8:37 am

Anybody ever heard of this? Looks pretty good. I don't think it will run on a North American system however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQsT1N2X2yM

Is there a way to get around the region lock? My buddy Eric is a huge He-Man fan.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: He-Man for the PS2?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 15th, 2021, 9:28 pm

It was a budget release.

And on top of that, it was rushed. If you set your expectations really low, you might get some enjoyment out of it. The voice actors for the few characters in the story are all official. The graphics are pretty good, all things considered. And there's decent depth to your moveset, especially if you compare this to every He-Man game from the 80's.

And even the GBA game.

Combined.

You even get to ride Battle Cat during the platforming segments.

Which probably counts as a Cringer origin story.

The biggest thing holding the game back, is how much padding there is.

Every review mentions this.

Generally, you'll be tasked with cleaning up a certain number of one enemy type. It won't be a challenge, because their AI isn't finished. Get used to seeing those models now, because you'll be doing a lot of this; there's only a handful of generic enemy types, and they need to last you the entire length of the game.

Then you'll be allowed to move on to get a key or pull a switch or whatever other generic task was pre-built into the developer's game maker demo. Repeat the loop over and over again until you get to face a boss you actually recognize, repeat that loop until you defeat Skeletor, and you're done.

Matchstick

Re: He-Man for the PS2?

Postby Matchstick » August 17th, 2021, 12:09 am

Getting around region lock, on any PlayStation console, is a thorny issue in my own experiences. I would say you might be better off buying a PAL console, but I'm not sure if that would play nicely with your US TV or not. Though that might not matter much if you are using a sort of HDMI adapter.

Sigh. How I miss the days of the Super NES and N64, where all you had to do to play an imported game was to pop it into a Game Genie or a Game Shark. Though the games I played all came from Japan, which used a similar NTSC signal to our own. PAL games from the UK and Australia always gave me a headache when I used to try to get them to run.

Have you heard of the Open Beats of Rage (Open BOR) fan projects, Critic? It's essentially a template for making custom arcade-style beat-'em-ups. And, yes, someone did some extensive work to make a He-Man version. It's a little janky, but definitely worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOsYJkdqbOk

I've been attempting to get this up-and-running on the Dreamcast for a while now. Still working on it! My wife and I play it on the PC every now and then, in the meantime. I pick She-Ra, she picks Skeletor, and we just go to town. The amount of effort put into the animation and sound effects is incredible for a fan-made project!

This is the only He-Man game I can honestly recommend, aside from the one for the Intellivision. Childhood nostalgia will never allow me to let that one go :D

Return to “Classic Gaming”