Can you or even the VGC play this to the end of stage/game?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Can you or even the VGC play this to the end of stage/game?

Postby matmico399 » November 5th, 2021, 8:35 pm

The game is Penn and Teller's Smoke and Mirror's on the Sega CD. I read about it a year ago but forgot about it until now. There are four stages to the game, but the second of four is the most notorious. It's called Desert Bus. Would you try it? The following is copy and pasted.

onsidered by Penn to be the "best part" of the collection, Desert Bus is a simulation trick minigame and a featured part of Electronic Gaming Monthly's preview. The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona, to Las Vegas, Nevada, in real time at a maximum speed of 45 mph (72 km/h). The feat requires eight hours of continuous play in real time to complete.[2][3]

The bus contains no passengers, there is little scenery aside from an occasional rock or bus stop sign, and there is no traffic. The road between Tucson and Las Vegas is simplified compared to the real highways: it is now completely straight. The bus veers to the right slightly, and thus requires the player's constant attention.[3] If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, one point is scored. The player has the option to make the return trip to Tucson for another point, a decision which must be made in a few seconds or the game ends. Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance lasts. Although the landscape never changes, an insect splats on the windshield about five hours through the first trip, and on the return trip the light fades, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.[2] The game cannot be paused.

Crummylion

Re: Can you or even the VGC play this to the end of stage/game?

Postby Crummylion » November 6th, 2021, 12:19 am

Gearbox actually got the chance to meet up with Penn and Teller to remake this game for vr, with added commentary and multiplayer. So you can tolerate the first 20 minutes of playing this game and to torture your friends along the way. Obviously a joke, but it was played in some charity events as well as the original. I tried to convince some people to play, either to stream on twitch or provide emotional support as I play, but obviously it didn't work. lmao

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 6th, 2021, 8:17 am

I find this game hilarious. Has it ever been officially released in any form?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I find this game hilarious.

This was exactly my thought. There is something insane and awesome in the stupidity of this.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 6th, 2021, 5:20 pm

Never heard of this game but the excerpt is just brilliantly hilarious. And you can’t pause the game! LOL!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 6th, 2021, 5:52 pm

Oh, good night. It's 2021, and people are still talking about Desert Bus? STOP THE INSANITY!!

(That being said, The Bus has raised some serious cash for charity over the years. So it's got that going for it.)

In all fairness, I thought Smoke & Mirrors sounded like a pretty fun time back in the day. I had seen the ads for the game in magazines, and was wondering how a video game based on Penn & Teller's work would actually play. Apparently, it's all one big joke, with the "game" more or less being how many of your friends (or enemies?) you can con into playing it.

A novel concept, but a tough sell. I'm not surprised it was canceled.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Has it ever been officially released in any form?

Unfortunately not. However, the finished Sega CD build of the game has been floating around online for over a decade now. It's fully playable and is pretty easy to find - especially if you happen to know a guy... ;)

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 6th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Critic if you beat this level you will cement your status as a video game legend. Although the wife might be pissed about this if you do, LOL

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 6th, 2021, 8:02 pm

I think I've mentioned this somewhere on this site before, but I once watched my buddy and his dad complete and win the entire Daytona 500 on Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge on NES. It took over four hours, with no pausing. They traded the controller back and forth when they got tired.

It was amazing, depressing, and somehow very funny all at the same time.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » November 12th, 2021, 8:27 am

Uh... not me. I'm not a masochist. :(

Return to “Classic Gaming”