Speed Freaks (PS1)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Speed Freaks (PS1)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 14th, 2021, 1:12 pm

While paging through a recent copy of Retro Gamer (TM) magazine I noticed a spread on a Playstation game called Speed Freaks. This is a kart-style game, and it caught my attention because I had never heard of it!

After a quick search on ebay it appears to be a European PAL release only! Has anyone ever played it? Will it run on my North American console?

astrodomekid

Re: Speed Freaks (PS1)

Postby astrodomekid » November 14th, 2021, 9:10 pm

The game does exist here in America, but here it's called "Speed Punks".

I got a copy earlier this year for $15 'cause a lot of people consider it a hidden gem. I haven't played it enough times yet to give a proper take of my own, but it does show a lot of promise.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2021, 9:44 pm

Wow thanks for the info - I don't think I would have ever figured that one out on my own, since it's so obscure. This forum is very informative!

I just ordered a copy.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 17th, 2021, 2:37 am

https://retro-sanctuary.com/mobile/Top- ... 2-mob.html

This website has some awesome top 100 lists, and they placed it at 87 on their top 100 PS1 games list.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 21st, 2021, 11:26 am

I remember Speed Freaks existing quite vividly. And, until I started checking out retro gaming sites and best-of lists, I always assumed this was a well-known decently regarded (if not classic) game. That's mostly thanks to Official UK PlayStation Magazine, who hyped it up like it was the second coming of Mario Kart, IIRC. It made the front cover of magazine when reviewed and was the featured playable demo that month when I'm sure there were more deserving games.

I never played it beyond that, but I guess it must have worked to a degree if I thought it had been a bigger deal than it was at the time.

Return to “Classic Gaming”