Seasonal Consoles?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
TheEagleXIII

Seasonal Consoles?

Postby TheEagleXIII » November 26th, 2021, 6:25 am

I don’t think any other site has ever embraced seasonal themed gaming like here. It’s always been a neat little feature.

But going a step further, I wondered if I’m the only one that got in the mood to play certain consoles at different times of the year?

For some reason I’ve noticed I tend to get in the mood for some PS1 during the winter and some 16-bits during the warmer months.

I don’t fully understand why - consoles last years not seasons and I definitely played my Mega Drive and PS1 all times of the year when I first had them. I guess maybe I have fonder memories of playing each during certain times of the year and nostalgia kicks in?

Got a feeling it’s just gonna be me on this one :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Seasonal Consoles?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2021, 9:42 am

I can't say I purposely play certain consoles at various times of the year, but it may be on a subconscious level. For example I had a bunch of Christmas games for my 2600 so I'll have that fired up next month.

Also, if someone has fond memories of getting a console at a certain time of year (like a birthday) I can see them wanted to play it then.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 26th, 2021, 7:21 pm

I only have one that I can think of. In December I really enjoy playing my Saturn. It really has some great Christmas games on it. Especially Christmas Nights Into Dreams. After years of searching I was finally able to acquire one a while back. And I love how it has an internal timer where if you play it on Christmas Day you get the special features. Such a unique game and it's very special to me. I have all my consoles hooked up but with wires that are labeled on their AV which one the AV cables are for what system. My modern systems use the HDMI of course.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » November 28th, 2021, 2:19 am

Interesting topic! I definitely associate certain games / systems with certain times of year. Let me think...

VideoGameCritic wrote:Also, if someone has fond memories...

Pretty much this. I always play F-Zero on Xmas, for example, as I received it on Christmas Day - along with the SNES - way back in the early 90s. The "White Land" tracks are perfect for the Winter season.

Oddly enough, I do not play my NES on Xmas, even though I *also* received it for that holiday a few years before the SNES! Funny how that works out. Though I tend to think that The Empire Strikes Back on the 2600 captures the essence of Winter better than nearly any game I had on the NES as a kid.

I tend to replay the original NES Metroid on my Birthday. What's strange is, I didn't receive it for my birthday, but I feel drawn to it, anyway. It is my favorite game, though, so I guess I just want to spend my special day with my all-time fave. Dawwwww.

(That, and I like to periodically prove to myself that I've "still got it," being able to beat the game in one sitting without a guide. The day I can no longer do that will be the day that I know I've started to slip a bit :| )

I get the itch to play the Dreamcast in the Fall, as I bought it around launch in October of 1999. I also get the itch to play the Gamecube in the Summertime, as I spent a few summers between semesters in college throwing down with my friends in Soul Calibur II and F-Zero GX. And the Winter months make me want to fire up the Genesis, as my neighbors got theirs for Xmas the year before I got my SNES, and I have fond memories of playing Sonic and John Madden Football after walking through the snow to their house down the street.

Back in my day, we used to have to walk a block in the snow - both ways - just to play Sega Genesis...

Return to “Classic Gaming”