Paddle controllers on modern systems

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Paddle controllers on modern systems

Postby matmico399 » December 25th, 2021, 8:35 pm

I have a lot of Atari and other old systems that I have on games from the PS1 forward. It's frustrating because these compilations have a lot of games that require a paddle. I can't play kaboom without a paddle controller even if I have it on my PS2. Does anyone know how to use a 2600 paddle controller from the PS1 forward? Otherwise these games that are meant to use a paddle are unplayable and I don't understand why they put so many of these games on these discs. Any ideas? And lastly I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

ActRaiser

Re: Paddle controllers on modern systems

Postby ActRaiser » January 19th, 2022, 11:26 am

I don't have an answer for using the actual Atari hardware but I have figured out how to play Kaboom on my PC/Arcade.

You can get USB spinners.

They work really, really well for these types of games. The PC/Arcade uses Stella as its emulator.

The spinner works as a mouse with only an x axis. In MAME you can configure any game that uses a spinner for it within the settings.

SpiceWare

Re: Paddle controllers on modern systems

Postby SpiceWare » January 19th, 2022, 7:28 pm

2600-daptor
Play classic console games on computer emulators with their original controllers. These adapters are a USB interface that works with PC, Mac, Raspberry Pi, or game console that supports USB HID (Human Interface Device). No driver needed as the adapter is automatically recognized as a USB joystick/mouse.

Don't know if your consoles will support the 2600-daptor, but if not you could easily play Atari paddle games using Stella on a computer, Raspberry Pi, or RetroN 77.

Return to “Classic Gaming”