Where is Gorf??

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Where is Gorf??

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2022, 8:44 pm

So a friend was visiting tonight and asked if I had the arcade version of Gorf. I assumed I did, but when I looked through my arcade compilations I could not find it! It's Midway right? I have all kind of Midway collections. What am I missing?

Atariboy

Re: Where is Gorf??

Postby Atariboy » January 7th, 2022, 8:53 pm

Popular opinion is that the Space Invaders level and the Galaxians level present issues. As such, it has never been emulated and included in any of the many compilations that have featured games from the Bally/Midway/Williams/Atari Games/Leland family.

Back in 1981 when Midway released Gorf to American arcades, they were the North American licensee of arcade Space Invaders (Taito) and Galaxian (Namco) and had no such roadblock when they included levels obviously based on both those titles.

I would not be surprised if your Retro-Bit Generations or Super Retrocade could play the game. Maybe someone around here that owns one of these and has investigated adding games to their SD card could hook you up. I know the similar AtGames Legends Flashback plays Gorf well when you add the rom to the SD card (Which is the system that I own).

A few years ago, prepackaged arcade packs to expand the lineup of games were easy enough to find and download for those Retro-Bit systems, with incompatible games weeded out and only confirmed working games included. At one time I had several such bundles downloaded to my computer with an eye towards buying one of those Retro-Bit systems and expanding the built-in lineup, but never did and eventually deleted them.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 8th, 2022, 11:44 am

Thanks for the detailed explanation Atariboy - you are awesome. Once again, it's an example about how licensing can throw a monkey wrench into classic game preservation. Every publisher is afraid of lawsuits. It's a real shame because Gorf is a genuine classic. I remember seeing it at some restaurant waiting room (back in 1982/1983 I guess) and being astonished by the various screens.

There is some good that came from this thread however. I landed a copy of Gorf for the Jaguar CD on ebay. I was looking for fresh Jag CD material, so this should hit the spot.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 9th, 2022, 3:32 am

You'll be pleased with that release. While the homebrew programmer behind it was a real nut and earned himself a ban at AtariAge, he did do a great job converting the game to the Jaguar.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 9th, 2022, 1:44 pm

the coleco version is the closest. it is only missing the Galaxian stage.

comchia

Postby comchia » January 10th, 2022, 12:46 am

I remember seeing and playing Gorf at the old Disney Quest arcade in Orlando, circa 2017. That synthesized voice added a cool level of creepiness to the game, and I particularly love the variety it offers. Most local arcade bars and arcade events seem to have this machine.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » January 10th, 2022, 12:48 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:the coleco version is the closest. it is only missing the Galaxian stage.

The upcoming Gorf Arcade for the 2600 by Champ Games has all 5 levels. You can download a demo from that link.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » January 10th, 2022, 6:36 pm

SpiceWare wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:the coleco version is the closest. it is only missing the Galaxian stage.

The upcoming Gorf Arcade for the 2600 by Champ Games has all 5 levels. You can download a demo from that link.

man Champ Games have been around forever! before emulation their games were the closest you can get to arcade classics

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » January 10th, 2022, 7:25 pm

I remember having ALL of Champ's bootleg arcade game discs back in the day. Before reliable emulation they were THE best you could do, and the extra content was nice, too!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 13th, 2022, 6:50 am

Gorf humorous story.
Back in 1981/2 I was heavily addicted to Gorf. I used to play it in my local arcade, a mere 30 mins walk away from where I was living. I was in love with the love of my young adult life. I think I was in College. So I was going up the ranking on 10p aka 25cents. I finally achieved the rank of Space Avenger!!! Oh yeah, that mean I had to play 30 waves of the game to get there, might have been 40. I was so stoked. I had achieved something in my life!!! Other than being in College and being in love.

So I said to my little lady, I have some FANTASTIC news my love. She was like, wow. Please tell me what it is!!!! :o I told her I had attained the rank of Space Avenger! :P Needless to say she was entirely unimpressed. Think sex was off that night. She said to me I thought you had got a good job. I was like I do have one... Space Avenger.

Needless to say some 6 years later we broke up, and I lost the love of my life. She stated various reasons about my appetite for sex and me being insatiable but I know the truth. She knew she could not compete with the glory of me becoming a Space Avenger in Gorf.

Return to “Classic Gaming”