Super Mario 64 Levels

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Super Mario 64 Levels

Postby jon » May 3rd, 2022, 6:55 pm

Well here I am addicted again after saying the game isn't that great. But after a lot of time off, I've really learned what levels I can't stand.

Least Favorite:

1) Tiny Huge Island: It's so annoying dying on this level and not knowing exactly the least time consuming way to get the darn 7 stars. It's funny, I just looked up a list and the guy had it as his favorite. Not sure how.

2) Big Boo's Haunt: The writer of the article had this as his 2nd favorite. That's unbelievable to me. This level is annoying. There's just nothing fun about it. And every time you die or get a star you have to go to the outdoor place where you kick a ghost to get back in. Just not fun.

Favorites:

1) Bob-Omb's Battlefield: I've mentioned before but this is a perfect 1st level. It says something maybe that the best level still isn't a classic, but there really aren't any go to levels so this takes 1st.

2) Lethal Lava Land: This is one I've really come to like. It's grown on me over the years and had a blast with it recently.

LoganRuckman

Re: Super Mario 64 Levels

Postby LoganRuckman » May 3rd, 2022, 7:01 pm

My personal favorite has always been Whomp's Fortress, and I can't quite explain why.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 3rd, 2022, 8:48 pm

Bob-Omb's Battlefield is one of the few levels, in any game, that I always complete 100%.

It's probably my second favorite Mario level of all time, beneath only New Donk City.

But I can't join you in your hate for Big Boo's Haunt. The surprises are fun, and the puzzles intuitive...it's what the rest of Mario 64 thinks it is.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 3rd, 2022, 11:22 pm

That is interesting, I really like the Ghost House, it gives me no issues, and I don't really like Lethal Lava land!

I will also agree with Bom-bomb battlefield being a fantastic first level. I absolutely love starting new files on this game just to play through it.

I actually would like to nominate the first ice level with the slide and all the penguins. I'm forgetting the name right now but I did the slide challenges in that game.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 3rd, 2022, 11:28 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:That is interesting, I really like the Ghost House, it gives me no issues, and I don't really like Lethal Lava land!

I will also agree with Bom-bomb battlefield being a fantastic first level. I absolutely love starting new files on this game just to play through it.

I actually would like to nominate the first ice level with the slide and all the penguins. I'm forgetting the name right now but I did the slide challenges in that game.

Cool, Cool Mountain, and it is indeed a wonderful ice level.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 4th, 2022, 2:52 am

Jolly Roger Bay was always my favorite level. I love the way the music starts out so calm and sparse, yet fills in with a string section once you hit the water. And once you reach the underwater cave, it adds a drum track, too. Such a nice little touch!

I also admire the variety in such a small level. You have stars above the water, floating on the water, and at the bottom of the sea. And who could ever forget the eel, having to lure it out of the ship before diving inside for yourself? I also thought the coins hiding inside the giant clams were a nice surprise.

I live by the ocean and enjoy diving as a hobby, and my wife and I have always been fascinated by the shipwrecks you can find scattered along the coast. You could say it’s a bit of life imitating art :D

As far as levels I can’t stand, I tend to avoid pretty much any of the last few worlds, particularly Rainbow Ride and Tick Tock Clock. I feel they’re optional, anyway, since you only need 70 stars to reach the endgame.

I also don’t care for Shifting Sand Land. The pyramid section is fun, but getting your hat stolen by the buzzard gets annoying fast, and there’s a bit too much instant-death quicksand for my liking. In my eyes, that’s the point where the game starts going from fun to tedious.

But as someone who’s gotten all 120 stars at several points over the years, I still love the challenge. Even the worst levels in the game aren’t enough to derail the entire experience for me.

jon

Postby jon » May 9th, 2022, 9:35 am

A lot of people had Rainbow Ride as their least favorite. And I can see where they're coming from. It's super annoying to be stuck on the carpet for minutes at a time with no shortcut. And sometimes when you get to that tower you can get hit by the fire thing and have to start over. That's definitely a candidate for worst level.

jon

Postby jon » May 18th, 2022, 8:34 am

I agree that once you get to the 2nd floor the levels go way down in quality and I totally agree with the VGC’s grade. Every level feels like a chore by then.
Last edited by jon on May 18th, 2022, 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 18th, 2022, 9:36 am

I'm beginning to like Super Mario 64, the more I play it, and so far my favorite has to be Jolly Roger Bay for it's nice tranquil music in the waters, and design. Just swimming through it makes me think of the water levels in Donkey Kong Country, just as calming music and best design especially the background.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 18th, 2022, 6:46 pm

Funny, my preferences are the opposite of the OP's. Tiny-Huge Island is one of my favorite levels, maybe even my favorite, while Lethal Lava Land is the weakest to me, haphazard and without much going on. Couldn't they at least have put a real volcano in it instead of that dinky little mini-golf decoration? Any scenery/terrain outside the volcano besides ramps and blocks? It's still fun, of course (especially surfing on the shell); I don't think there's an outright bad level in the game.

Return to “Classic Gaming”