Happy 50th Atari

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Happy 50th Atari

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 5th, 2022, 12:09 am

matmico399 wrote:Regarding consoles, what other major success did they have besides the 2600? I cherish my 2600 but I basically have no interest in obtaining the other systems. With the exception of a few exclusives is it really worth it? I mean if you have a lot of cash I understand but for the average gamer I just don't see it. I was interested in the 5200 at one time, but I can get most of those games on other systems without having to deal with the sorry joystick.

The Atari ST was a huge European success for a few years, as the more affordable alternative to the Amiga.

It earned Atari some serious UK credibility. They'd immediately lay waste to that credibility afterwards, but you could make a case for the 16-bit library being the best thing they ever put their name to.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 5th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Every ST game is a barely playable slide show with the grainiest graphics ever drawn and piercing Master System sound. I can't think of hardware from that period less suited to games (unless you want to make the case that EGA-based PCs count, but I think they distinctly belong to a previous era).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 5th, 2022, 8:37 pm

There are fun ST games like Vroom that are fast, have smooth frame rates, and are pleasant to the ears. But I never thought of it as an amazing games machine.

I'd of much rather of had an Amiga.
Last edited by Atariboy on September 25th, 2022, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

borntorun

Postby borntorun » July 8th, 2022, 8:53 am

I loved my ST and still do to this day. There are some phenomenal games, and I kind of like the chip tunes. My ST library is huge, and I probably go back to it more than any other system.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 12th, 2022, 9:19 pm

Final game list for Atari's upcoming multiplatform compilation that celebrates 50 years of Atari history (Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration). Seems pertinent to toss it in this thread about Atari turning 50 years old. :)

Games in red are those that were present in the Atari Flashback Classics and Atari Vault compilations from Code Mystics on the PS4, XB1, Switch, Vita, PC, and modern day VCS.

Atari 2600
3-D Tic-Tac-Toe
Adventure
Air Sea Battle
Asteroids
Basic Math
Breakout
Canyon Bomber
Centipede
Combat
Combat Two
Crystal Castles

Dark Chambers
Dodge 'Em
Demons to Diamonds
Fatal Run
Gravitar
Haunted House
Millipede

Miner 2049'er
Missile Command
Outlaw
Quadrun
Race 500
- The new name for Indy 500 (Atari) and Race (Sears).
Realsports Baseball
Realsports Basketball
Realsports Boxing
Realsports Football
Realsports Soccer
Realsports Tennis
Realsports Volleyball
Saboteur
Secret Quest

Solaris
Super Breakout
Surround
Swordquest: Earthworld
Swordquest: Fireworld
Swordquest: Waterworld
Warlords
Yars' Revenge

Atari 5200
Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Millipede
Missile Command

Star Raiders ("+ Enhanced Version")
Super Breakout

Atari 800
Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Caverns of Mars
Food Fight
Miner 2049'er

Atari 7800
Asteroids
Basketbrawl
Centipede
Dark Chambers
Fatal Run
Ninja Golf
Scrapyard Dog

Atari Jaguar
Atari Karts
Club Drive
Cybermorph
Evolution Dino Dudes
Fight for Life
Missile Command 3D
Ruiner Pinball
Tempest 2000
Trevor McFur

Atari Lynx
Basketbrawl
Malibu Bikini Volleyball
Scrapyard Dog
Super Asteroids + Missile Command
Turbo Sub
Warbirds

Dedicated
Touch Me

Arcade (Additions never included in earlier collections are marked with an asterisk)
Akka Arrh *
Asteroids
Asteroids Deluxe
Black Widow

Breakout *
Centipede
Cloak & Dagger *
Crystal Castles
Fire Truck

Food Fight (Previously saw a release via Game Room for the Xbox 360)
Gravitar
I, Robot *
Liberator
Lunar Lander
Major Havoc
Maze Invaders
Millipede
Missile Command
Pong

Quantum *
Space Duel
Sprint 8 *
Super Breakout
Tempest
Warlords

Reimagined
Haunted Houses
Neo Breakout
Quadratank
Swordquest AirWorld
VCTR-SCTR
Yars’ Revenge Reimagined
Last edited by Atariboy on October 30th, 2022, 6:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.

DocHix

Postby DocHix » September 14th, 2022, 10:48 am

"Final game list for Atari's upcoming multiplatform compilation that celebrates 50 years of Atari history (Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration). Seems pertinent to toss it in this thread about Atari turning 50 years old. :)"

Thanks, Atariboy!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 14th, 2022, 3:58 pm

nice to see some Atari 5200 and Atari 800 games! but man they could include SOOO MANY more great games from the Atari 800

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 14th, 2022, 4:06 pm

borntorun wrote:I loved my ST and still do to this day. There are some phenomenal games, and I kind of like the chip tunes. My ST library is huge, and I probably go back to it more than any other system.

i never had an ST..i eventually got an Amiga in the late 80s but...around 1987 when i still had my Atari 800 and a C64 i went to my friend Mikes house and he had Atari ST and i was totally blown away by Barbarian! (also known as Death Sword) and a lot of the other games he had...i really wanted an ST after seeing his but at the time Atari ST's were pretty expensive because you needed a monitor and at the time i did all my gaming and computing on our regular TV..i'll use the Atari ST emulator from time to time now..great computer!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 14th, 2022, 5:39 pm

For those that wonder how this compares with the previous round of Atari compilations, 58 games in Atari 50 were also in the Flashback/Vault compilations. The remaining 45 games are by extension exclusive to Atari 50. And 92 out of 150 games from the Flashback Classics/Vault line haven't been carried forward to this new collection.

So the old collections definitely haven't been made redundant by the upcoming Atari 50 collection. 14 arcade games for instance didn't make the leap forward from the Flashback line to this new Digital Eclipse collection. And at the same time, Atari 50 brings a lot of new additions to the table.

ASalvaro wrote:nice to see some Atari 5200 and Atari 800 games! but man they could include SOOO MANY more great games from the Atari 800

If you don't have Atari Flashback Classics or Atari Vault, buying something like the Switch version of Flashback Classics would give you 12 more unique 5200 games to go along with the five 5200 games and four Atari 800 games on this new collection. Would yield a somewhat more rounded taste of Atari's 8-bit line than what Atari 50 delivers.
Last edited by Atariboy on October 24th, 2022, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classic Gaming”