The Making of Goldeneye (N64)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Making of Goldeneye (N64)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 8th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Just read this interesting article about the unconventional making of Goldeneye.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/07/ ... eneye-007/

The best example of how the team’s inexperience benefited the final product is in their “backwards” or “anti” game design process. Today, much of the advice on FPS design says to start with objectives and work backward from there—tailor your level spaces to your objectives instead of building level architecture with no idea what will happen within that architecture.

This really enhances the game I think. Most games lead you around by the nose, only letting you explore areas integrate to completing your objective.

jon

Re: The Making of Goldeneye (N64)

Postby jon » July 9th, 2022, 8:16 pm

It's an interesting read. I got a kick out of that part where one of the guys says it takes a whole day to find somebody the teams have gotten so big. If I were to be totally honest, I think the reason I was totally down on this game after revisiting it is that I can't stand 3d games where I can't find the objective(s). I get lost and it's 3d and it feels like absolutely a waste of time. I've been debating doing what I've thought is unthinkable, which is cheating by finding out what to do by looking it up online. I mean, it seems like that's the only hope of me ever being able to play 3d games, is by knowing exactly what I need to do. Exploration in 3d games is not as fun (if that) as I envisioned in 1994-1995.

Return to “Classic Gaming”