Steven Seagal: The Final Option

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Steven Seagal: The Final Option

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2022, 10:12 pm

I'm fascinated by this unreleased SNES prototype. It's looks pretty badass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obPUcbnv_JM

Do you think it will ever get released? I can't imagine Steven Seagal blocking it.

jon

Re: Steven Seagal: The Final Option

Postby jon » July 13th, 2022, 11:53 pm

Wow! How did I not know about this. I watched the clip, he actually fights in the game just like he does in the movies. I want to know why it was cancelled. Apparently there was a Genesis version also. That's more like it. You need that 68k processor for Seagal's quick moves. It looks like the time it got cancelled, 1995, coincided with him not being as in the spotlight.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened in the early to mid 90's and why was he not in a lot of big movies anymore. I actually watched Drop Zone a couple months ago, the 1994 Wesley Snipes movie, for the first time in decades. And I loved it. What's interesting once I did some digging is that Drop Zone was supposed to be a Seagal movie. He was going to get paid $15 million for it. And what's absolutely crazy, is that the supporting cast are all actors that were in previous Seagal movies. So he must have backed out at the last minute, which sucks. Drop Zone with Seagal could've been so much better than with Wesley Snipes, although I feel he did a good job.

One thing that's absolutely hilarious about Seagal movies, is that the people he beats up or kills, a lot of them are in 2-3 of his movies. He basically beats up the same guys. One of the bad guys in Drop Zone had been a bad guy in 2 Seagal movies. It's absolutely hilarious. I wonder how that's so. Maybe Seagal is loyal. There's a ton of the Under Siege supporting cast in Drop Zone.

It's really unfortunate what happened to Seagal's career. In 1994, after a meteoric rise which culminated in Under Siege making a zillion dollars, he directed and starred in On Deadly Ground, which is fantastic, but it only made $38 million on a $50 million budget. Under Siege 2 was successful in 1995. But then there was the confusing role he had in Executive Decision, where he died early on in the film.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2022, 6:55 pm

I was a big Seagal fan back in the era of action flicks (80s/90s). Sadly, as the 90's progressed you could see him gradually picking up more and more weight until he started having to wear long trench coats just to hide his big belly.

I still enjoy his most classic flicks like Above the Law, Marked For Death, Hard to Kill, Under Siege, and my favorite, Out For Justice. I've tried a few of his direct-to-DVD movies and he's really just going through the motions at this point.

Would love to review this game though!

Voor

Postby Voor » July 15th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Whenever I think of Seagal, I think of this:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven- ... ight-live/

jon

Postby jon » July 15th, 2022, 2:35 pm

For absolute diehards, there are a lot of good moments for Seagal even after his golden era which ended with Under Siege. A lot like me believe in what he stands for in protecting the environment. It’s so weird that On Deadly Ground wasn’t successful. There was a ton of action. That’s what really hurt his career.

Scattered across A LOT of bad movies from his DTV era there are some good ones. His first DTV The Patriot (1998)is very well regarded by his fans and it’s great. His last movie in theaters (until Exit Wounds) was 1997’s Fire Down Below which is also well regarded. I love those ones. After his comeback film Exit Wounds (2001) which was in theaters it was basically DTV from there on out. Most diehards view 2002’s Into The Sun as a good one although I’m not too high on it. I think it might have been released in theaters in Japan.

Just about all the diehards view Urban Justice (2007) and Pistol Whipped (2008) as his best from the 2000’s DTV era. UJ was a huge comeback movie. There was a ton of action in that and it seemed like he was back to getting with it. And I’m in the minority I guess with loving Out of Reach as well as Black Dawn.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 15th, 2022, 10:24 pm

Under Siege 2 >>>>> Under Siege 1

I much prefer the train scennary where there is a felling of impeding doom or something, the train is constantly moving so you know something is gonna happen. US1 however is ok I guess, Tommy Lee Jones is great on it, but that ship just stood there and not much happening, I just prefer the second movie over the first one.

Seagal's first movie Above The Law is great too.

jon

Postby jon » July 16th, 2022, 10:40 pm

Hagane wrote:Under Siege 2 >>>>> Under Siege 1

I much prefer the train scennary where there is a felling of impeding doom or something, the train is constantly moving so you know something is gonna happen. US1 however is ok I guess, Tommy Lee Jones is great on it, but that ship just stood there and not much happening, I just prefer the second movie over the first one.

Seagal's first movie Above The Law is great too.

I definitely see what you're saying. There's so much action in Under Siege 2. I think I read that Seagal wasn't even in half of Under Siege 1. Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey were featured heavily. His first few movies had so much gory violence that wouldn't go over well today.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » July 18th, 2022, 4:25 am

I loved Under Siege and some other early work…
I never cared for his paling around with Putin either.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 24th, 2022, 9:22 pm

Seagal is a big fat phony. Arnold & Sly at least had muscles & screen presence. Chuck & Bruce were the real deal. There must be so many martial artists & stuntmen that hate that priss. Dolph, Van Dam, Carl Weathers, whole cast of Predator and the list could go on and on of guys that are more believable bad*** then him. Heck Michael Keaton coulda kicked his lower posterior region.

jon

Postby jon » October 25th, 2022, 7:28 pm

Tron wrote:Seagal is a big fat phony. Arnold & Sly at least had muscles & screen presence. Chuck & Bruce were the real deal. There must be so many martial artists & stuntmen that hate that priss. Dolph, Van Dam, Carl Weathers, whole cast of Predator and the list could go on and on of guys that are more believable bad*** then him. Heck Michael Keaton coulda kicked his lower posterior region.

Argh!!!!

Edit: Now I realize I just set myself up for more. I'm not the smartest guy around.

Return to “Classic Gaming”