Crusader of Centy (Genesis)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Crusader of Centy (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2022, 5:26 pm

I just saw a tweet about an obscure Genesis title called Crusader of Centy. I looked it up on ebay and WOWOWOW $$$$.
A lot of the listings are describing this as a holy grail game. Anybody ever play it?

matmico399

Re: Crusader of Centy (Genesis)

Postby matmico399 » July 15th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Yes I played this. I can't give you an overall grade on this, but it was kind of interesting. The problem is I was in my 20s when released and I just gotten engaged. Work was super busy. Thing is it is so time consuming. If you have a ton of time to play I would say go for it, as it seems pretty cool. But I didn't get very far so I would just read reviews on the internet about it.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 20th, 2022, 1:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I just saw a tweet about an obscure Genesis title called Crusader of Centy. I looked it up on ebay and WOWOWOW $$$$.
A lot of the listings are describing this as a holy grail game. Anybody ever play it?

It's like Link to the Past, but with a few wrinkles to make it stand on its own...the story's pretty decent, and many of your tools are the animals you can talk to.

The only downside was that years of playing Zelda games had me trained to mow the lawn for rewards, and that won't be nearly as rewarding here. You're just wacking at the grass and wishing it actually meant something...

The disappointment is real.

And then you adjust, and you can enjoy the game on its own terms.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 21st, 2022, 1:33 am

I don't think this game is that rare. I own the PAL version, which is called Soleil. It has nice graphics and is very well produced, but I never have found the patience to actually get into the game. I don't think it's bad, but the start of the game just isn't as interesting as a Zelda game (even if you played them all). At least Sonic is relaxing in the game, so that's nice.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 21st, 2022, 12:25 pm

Usually hear Crusader of Centy described as the Genesis's answer to Zelda, though I wouldn't rate it quite that high. Supposed to be a good game, though I don't recall it being rereleased to my knowledge.

Of note is the translation/version differences between the US and PAL English releases, where the different teams took different approaches, with one being more light-hearted and one being more serious; don't ask me which one is which, I'm trying to remember...

Wish this would be rereleased somewhere, I recall trying it and liking what I played.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 4th, 2022, 3:30 am

I've been playing around with this one lately, and I do think that it's a pretty good game for sure. Kinda reminds me of Link's Awakening with a bit of Startropics thrown in the mix. A good combination, if you ask me. But as with most RPG's I've picked up and tried to play through, I'm not sure what to do next. I know that you have to get three medals at the training grounds and present them to the king. But there's also parts of the map that have been opened up and I'm able to explore. I have one medal and the ability to jump, but will I need to get the other two medals in order to fully explore these areas? Or am I able to go through these areas and possibly open up the map a little more ....

Return to “Classic Gaming”