Should I get a Polymega?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Re: Should I get a Polymega?

Postby Atariboy » August 7th, 2022, 5:13 pm

travistouchdown wrote:I was interested until i learned it doesn't support everdrives. Makes no sense. I get what they are trying to do I just don't think there is that big a market for people with massive physical collections when you can go either the original hardware/everdrive Route OR Mister for better FPGA experience.

They're not intentionally locked out, although I believe they've portrayed it that way in their marketing.

Rather it's a byproduct of how such devices work. Software emulation means that there's not a live cartridge bus and that the cartridge contents instead must be dumped to a file in the system's memory with the emulator running said rom file. The most you'd ever be able to get as a result is the multicart's menu since there's not continuous communication with the cartridge to trigger it to load your selected game.

It's also one of the selling points of FPGA clone systems like the Retro USB AVS (NES system), the Collectorvision Phoenix, and most famously Analogue's range of hardware ever since the first Nt Mini. Due to being a hardware clone utilizing a reprogrammable FPGA, they're able to have a live cartridge bus just like original hardware.

Thus they're able to work with multicarts, directly utilize onboard enhancement chips in cartridges like the Super FX (versus emulating them like Polymega), etc.
Last edited by Atariboy on August 18th, 2022, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » August 18th, 2022, 7:18 am

You know it looks great but it’s too rich for my blood…

$449 base unit
$109 gun
Modules to play various systems game are $79 a piece.
You could easily run upwards 6~700 dollars!

I would love to have one but it’s too much for my limited means. It’s kind of like a modern Neo-Geo, something to drool over but unobtainable for most kids…

Eric

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 18th, 2022, 8:05 pm

GeoX wrote:You know it looks great but it’s too rich for my blood…

$449 base unit
$109 gun
Modules to play various systems game are $79 a piece.
You could easily run upwards 6~700 dollars!

I would love to have one but it’s too much for my limited means. It’s kind of like a modern Neo-Geo, something to drool over but unobtainable for most kids…

Eric

I know what you're saying about the price and it is pretty expensive. However I was waiting for the day this was released and I had saved up for it for about a year. Of course they kept delaying it but I kept my cash saved away. I was one of the very first ones to buy it once it came out. I strongly believe it is still my best ever video game investment. Stick some bucks aside and you will be able to get one soon.

Return to “Classic Gaming”