Know what I want? A GBA SP "classic"

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Voor

Know what I want? A GBA SP "classic"

Postby Voor » July 29th, 2022, 2:59 pm

Similar to the NES and SNES classic consoles we had a few years ago. I thought the form factor of this unit was perfect and it has a LOT of games that aged well thanks to their sprite based graphics. Load it up with 30 games for $99, and I’m all over it.

Assuming this may never come, how difficult would it to be to find a good SP? What about the games? Have their prices skyrocketed as “collectibles yet”?

Shapur

Re: Know what I want? A GBA SP “classic”

Postby Shapur » August 5th, 2022, 1:05 am

I’d buy that in a second. Two. One for me and one for my daughter.

I honestly thought we’d have to wait for an N64 mini and get a GB/GBC classic right after SNES. This is Nintendo so of course they’ll save the GBA for milking later. The OG Game Boy look has a better nostalgia factor. Boy was I wrong. Instead we got the so-so Gane and Watch consoles, and looks like Nintendo is done with classic consoles.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 21st, 2022, 12:23 pm

I'd like a GB/GBA "Classic Mini," though NOT based on the SP version, as my hands would not forgive me (that system was hard to hold in 2003, I dread how painful it would be nowadays, with the tiny L and R buttons).

Like everything else these days, the console has only gone up in price, worse yet due to the batteries now reaching the end of their lifespans. Of note is that there are two main SP models/versions that come to mind - one where you can turn off the backlight, and one where it dims the light. The latter is usually more desired from what I hear, as the colors are more vivid.

Oh, and if you find GBA games on the cheap, get them now - the prices I last saw were insane, even for random games (like Stuntman). If you are wanting Castlevania Advance games or Mega Man Zero games, it is almost cheaper to get the Collections on the Switch (or other systems), as the prices for the carts is insane...

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 26th, 2022, 6:17 am

I have one and it's a great device. However, after playing on a 3DS XL and Nintendo Switch for some years now, I find it hard to return to such a small screen.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » August 27th, 2022, 11:55 am

I finally gave up on waiting for an N64 classic and built one out of an old Mac Mini using Open Emu. Would much prefer an official version though.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 27th, 2022, 5:25 pm

RDReynolds wrote:I finally gave up on waiting for an N64 classic and built one out of an old Mac Mini using Open Emu. Would much prefer an official version though.

That’s what I find funny. Most enthusiasts can easily make their own in these situations but we want to support these companies and classic gaming. Getting an appropriate console shell is the hardest part, but any Anberic device can be a GBA classic with the entire GBA library.

I’ll give props to Sega. Even though it isn’t the Dreamcast mini I’d hoped for they are putting out something that makes a great nostalgia stocking stuffer or first console for the kids.

Return to “Classic Gaming”