Sega Super GT?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sega Super GT?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2022, 9:39 pm

So I was leafing through a Gamepro magazine from 1997 and she coming attractions for this spectacular arcade racer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz2cs_XkAyI

So why in the hell was this never released for the Dreamcast? This looks a heck of a lot better than the Sega GT they released for the Dreamcast!

How come this game never saw home release? That is such a waste.

Stalvern

Re: Sega Super GT?

Postby Stalvern » August 11th, 2022, 10:56 am

I played the arcade game when I was a kid and thought it was one of the coolest things ever. It's a travesty that the Dreamcast never got a port, but at least it has Daytona USA 2001.

I wouldn't make much of the American title's similarity with Sega GT, though. The actual name is SCUD Race.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » August 11th, 2022, 11:07 am

Possibly the greatest SEGA racer in the arcade. I loved playing it at the arcade every day during my lunch hour. Had Dreamcast been more successful, maybe it would have been ported. Instead , at least we got its stages included in Xbox Outrun 2.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 11th, 2022, 11:10 am

Stalvern wrote:I wouldn't make much of the American title's similarity with Sega GT, though. The actual name is SCUD Race.

Thankfully they renamed it for North America. Everyone would've pictured a game where you're racing a ballistic missile if they had kept that name (Which technically is actually 'Sport Car Ultimate Drive').

Sega Super GT though sounds like a racing game.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » August 14th, 2022, 12:47 am

I love this game. Segas Model 3 was incredible. Racing games were still *fun* and SCUD just looked incredible.

Been a while but https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wriw0CyHUwg

I think that covered the obvious feasibility of it. I had so hoped for games like this Lost World Jurassic Park and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade to come to the DC. I’m this instance Sega just had other racers and SCUD the sport disbanded. Correct?

Maybe one day we can get a Sega Model 3 collection.

Return to “Classic Gaming”