Atari VCS 800 discontinued..?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
mbd36

Re: Atari VCS 800 discontinued..?

Postby mbd36 » January 4th, 2023, 12:39 pm

I feel bad for the people who worked hard on this, and those who bought into it, but the Atari VCS was always a stupid idea. They should stick to software compilations and mini system plug n plays.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 9th, 2023, 11:11 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I'll defend the PSPGo to a small degree (I obtained one a few years back and have it hacked to play ISOs, though the system is REALLY showing its age - namely, battery), though the vast majority of download only systems are doomed from the get-go, as you turn off a significant amount of buyers who want to see value with their purchases. Also, once their parent company cuts off the system, 90% are bricks or useless, especially in the age of the streaming systems. At least in this case, the PSPGo can be hacked to play ISOs of games (or better yet, if one can find a working PSP for cheap and games, though there were a significant amount of digital-only that can now only be played as ISOs).

On the other hand, the controls are a gritty survival horror cramping simulator and 16GB was just enough to punish you for being a loyal customer.

I want to defend the Go, as it was targeted towards me, the UMD hater who just wanted a decent screen. But it earned that failure.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 18th, 2023, 9:14 am

You are certainly right on the controls being cramp-inducing...

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 20th, 2023, 8:47 am

mbd36 wrote:I feel bad for the people who worked hard on this, and those who bought into it, but the Atari VCS was always a stupid idea. They should stick to software compilations and mini system plug n plays.

It was a great idea. A linux based console is fab. It is so open source and a great way to get people in the duality of Linux. The corporate way they went about it was completely at odds with the ethos behind GNU. Also the hardware specs were a trifle modest. Even with that it could have been a huge success. The price point would have to be somewhere between £149 and £179. This makes it a great cheap option for gaming for people who do not have the big bucks to pay and play for PS5 or Switch. They brought it out at £400. At that price point it was £200 over priced.
Also, availability. Here in the UK, I never saw one in the wild. It was on ebay or the atari website and that was it.

Software is the main selling point for any system. The killer apps. Marion kart, Zelda on the Switch. Last of us, days gone on the ps5. Halo/ gears of war on the xbox.

Atari nu VCS Asteroids recharged? Very much like the Amico in that respect. They really priced themselves out of the market with nothing really good about the system. There was nothing unique about it. Also a retro system without a cartridge slot? Minus that what collector is going to pick it up?

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » January 20th, 2023, 11:00 pm

i guess it hasn't been discontinued they just put out a 2023 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIuGURnAsc

Return to “Classic Gaming”