Dreamcast Performance Memory Cards

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Dreamcast Performance Memory Cards

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2023, 10:50 am

I'm a memory card guy. I have a big collection and try to keep them organized the best I can. Normally I stick with the original manufacturer but during the Dreamcast era the Performance brand was a great deal, holding more for less price.

But now it looks like the chickens are coming home to roost. I had to toss my multi-card Performance VMU years ago because it just stopped working. Now it looks like the same thing has happened with the single-card Performance VMU. When using the Dreamcast file interface, I can see stuff on there, but when I try to load in Sega Rally, it says no card found.

Anybody else go through this? The good news is, I've never had any issue with my Sega VMUs. Maybe I should pick up one or two extra while they are still easy to find.

AtariToday

Re: Dreamcast Performance Memory Cards

Postby AtariToday » January 2nd, 2023, 5:16 pm

Yup. Got burned early with purchasing an "off-brand" memory card early (lost all files) and switched to the real deal and didn't look back. Sorry about your loss...it's no fun!
If you can see the file but the game won't read it, maybe try to transfer the save to a Sega brand VMU to see if the game reads it then? I didn't really use that option but if I remember correctly you can plug the two VMUs together and swap files that way (not sure if possible with a non screen memory card on one end but might be worth a shot).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Dreamcast Performance Memory Cards

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2023, 8:03 pm

That copying idea is actually pretty clever! I might try it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”