My First Video Games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Matchstick

Re: My First Video Games

Postby Matchstick » March 2nd, 2023, 3:32 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Wow! How do you guys/gals remember this stuff? I sure don't!

My thoughts, exactly! The photographic memory on display here is impressive, indeed.

Part of the problem I have in remembering my first videogames is that, well, I just wasn't all that interested in games as a kid. I had a skateboard, I liked collecting bugs, I played sports, and was generally out of the house for most of the non-Winter months of the year. And even then, I'd go sledding, or go ice skating.

We had a 2600 tucked away in the basement, though it usually wasn't connected to a TV. I do remember having Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes back, and we had a few common cartridges like Combat and Space Invaders. Hardly any of them were in their original boxes, though.

The first console I remember getting as my very own was the NES, for Xmas of 1990. Yep, we were a bit late to the game! It was the so-called "Action Set," and came with Mario / Duck Hunt and the orange Zapper.

By that point, though, my neighbors had already gotten both the NES and a Sega Genesis. I spent most of my gaming time at their house, or at the arcade. As a result, our home NES collection really didn't grow all that much. We did rent plenty of games, though, and would usually do that instead of buying them.

I also borrowed several NES games from my neighbors for extended periods. Most of them were bought for their older teenage brother, so I had plenty of experience with Bases Loaded, Blades of Steel, and Contra.

I can't remember what the occasion was, but I got my first three "keeper" NES games all at once: Metroid, Punch-Out, and Battletoads. I'm going to say this was probably the following Xmas.

I guess those weren't truly my "first" videogames, but they're certainly the first ones I ever remember getting brand new from the store. I still have all three, though the boxes are long, long gone.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » March 2nd, 2023, 8:04 pm

Microvision for me. Had half the games for it. Lost track of it in the 90s, think it was lost during a move.
  • Alien Raiders
  • Block Buster
  • Bowling
  • Connect Four
  • Star Trek: Phaser Strike
  • Vegas Slots

Ferf13

Postby Ferf13 » March 15th, 2023, 3:39 pm

I started out with the Sears Telegames/Atari 2600 and here is a list of my first games.

Adventure
Berzerk
Centipede
Chopper Command
Combat
Defender
Demon Attack
Freeway
Frogger
Hangman
Maze Craze
Missile Command
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac-Man
River Raid
Space Invaders
Superman
Target Fun / Air Sea Battle
Vanguard
Video Chess
Video Pinball
Yars’ Revenge

Blackmm

Postby Blackmm » March 16th, 2023, 2:26 am

I'm old.

Tron

Postby Tron » March 16th, 2023, 10:37 pm

Blackmm wrote:Image

I'm old.

Woah….. oooooooh ahhhhhhhhhh. Groovy man.

Return to “Classic Gaming”