Halloween for the Atari 2600

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 30th, 2007, 12:06 am

Alright, so as I've told you guys before, my video game and Star Wars collections were stolen several months ago while I was gone on vacation.  I was pretty stunned for a while and couldn't even think of trying to rebuild any collection at all, but in the last few months I have actually started doing so, though to a much lesser extent than I did before.  I am basically collecting in genres and a few series for the time being.

One of my collections I am rebuilding is my collection of horror-themed games.  I have some success at replacing some rare titles in my collection, but one of the biggest challenges is replacing my near mint copy of Halloween for the Atari 2600.  I simply can find no complete instances of this game for sale anywhere.  I can't even find complete copies of the Halloween/Texas Chainsaw Massacre double-ender that was produced several years ago for sale.  I've been asking around to a lot of people, but have simply had no luck.  At this point I figured I'd ask if anyone here knows anyone who might be interested in selling this copy.  I am willing to pay pretty high for this game.

If any of you know someone, could you let me know by clicking on my name "m0zart" and sending me the information by email?  I'd very much appreciate it.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » April 30th, 2007, 1:07 pm

What happened? Did they break into your home?

Funk

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 1st, 2007, 11:21 am

[QUOTE=Funkmaster V]What happened? Did they break into your home?[/QUOTE]

Yes.  I went on vacation to South Carolina last year in September on the week of my birthday.  While I was still there I noticed checks coming in on my checking account.  Since I never write checks, I knew it wasn't me.  And the check book was well hidden in a back closet.  So I cut my vacation short and flew home early.

When I got home my door was open, my security system had somehow been disabled (I've never gotten a proper explanation on exactly how), my newer systems were not stolen, but they were clearly thrown about the room.  Just an example, my 360 was hanging by it's power cord off of the top of the television.

I have been a huge Star Wars collector ever since I first saw the film as a little dumb kid in the latter '70s, so I had stuff from all the way back then.  It was gone, almost all of it.  My video games were all gone, including most of my older consoles.

At first I couldn't figure out why some of the more expensive modern stuff wasn't taken.  Then the police officer told me that it's likely that the thief was experienced and didn't take stuff that could be traced.  Recent purchases with warranties were left untouched, such as my FX Lightsaber collection and my newer systems.

The bummer here was that I went all over my part of the city to find out if the stuff had been pawned.  I found almost all of a lot of my new video game collection at an EB Games, and much of my older stuff at a Pawn shop, being sold at pretty high prices.  The name associated with the stuff was a neighbor of mine.  This was a guy who had borrowed money from me before, played video games at my home, etc.  He even stayed with me for a while when his wife threw him out.  So finding out it was him really came out of left field.

But the real bummer is that I couldn't get any of that stuff back, even though it was mine, without paying for it again.  The law basically says I can only get stuff like that back if I can prove it is mine with receipts that have serial numbers on them.  That's really crazy IMO because I didn't keep receipts for the vast majority of time that I collected those things in my youth.  As a result, the police also couldn't do anything to my neighbor, because I couldn't prove the stuff was mine.  My insurance company could have helped prior, if they had actually tagged my collectable stuff.  But they didn't... they just made a general item assumption on that stuff and estimated value when I bought the policy.

I decided that the prices for getting all of my stuff back was too high, but I did hold my nose and buy back several of the more collectible items.  One of the things that was already gone though, and thus unavailable for repurchase, was my copy of Halloween for the Atari 2600.

Given that that was one of my favorites for the system, it has really bummed me out.  I've been going at it pretty hard to find out if I can still get one of those rare items.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » May 1st, 2007, 12:53 pm

Wow, that's terrible! I remember you saying that you got robbed, but this story is incredible. Does that guy still live close to you? Man, that would be awkward!!!!

-Rob

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 2nd, 2007, 8:06 am

First off, that dude would be eating soup through a straw.

Second, any time ANYONE here deals with an insurance company for lost or destroyed good (home fire, theft) HIRE a public adjuster! If you do not you will be screwed out of $$$

FUNK

Return to “Classic Gaming”