Best 2600 Adventure?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alienblue

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Alienblue » November 2nd, 2007, 12:45 pm

What do you think is the best Adventure game on the Atari 2600? I don't count the unreleased AD&D prototypes.

I think the old reliale ADVENTURE was never really topped myself. The random game #3 made it forever replayable. I didn't really like the homebrew Adventure 2, too difficult. I guess second place would go to PITFALL 2, if you consider that adventure. And believe it or not #3 is E.T! Yes, E.T! Live with it!

BTW, has anyone ever attempted to make an RPG for the 2600? That would certainly be a challenge!

Zenzerotron

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Zenzerotron » November 2nd, 2007, 1:08 pm

For Adventure 2, do you mean Adventure Plus??

The thing that destroys Adventure Plus for me is that the dragons are too difficult. If you see a dragon, BAM, you're dead, no questions asked. I really wanted to like this game, but making the dragons unescapable ruins it.

Anyway, my vote goes to "Ghost Manor". A childhood favorite, still plays well today.

MappyMousePD

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby MappyMousePD » November 2nd, 2007, 1:10 pm

[QUOTE] BTW, has anyone ever attempted to make an RPG for the 2600? That would certainly be a challenge![/QUOTE]

Dragon Stomper is a full-fledged RPG.

Atarifever1

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Atarifever1 » November 2nd, 2007, 2:27 pm

Toss up between Adventure and ET.  I play ET slightly more often if I'm forced to choose. 

gleebergloben1

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 2nd, 2007, 5:14 pm

i would have to say 'adventure'.  it used to scare the crap out of me when i'd move from one screen to another and have a dragon waiting for me with its jaws chomping (i scared easily as a kid...i used to draw the shades when the dreaded snail-moving sleestacks attacked in 'Land of the Lost'...if i'm not mistaken, sleestack's main weapon was shooting rubber bands).

i also liked 'raiders of the lost ark'. i loved 'treasure of tarmin' on the INTV; it's too bad it was never released for the 2600.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/treasureoftarmin/treasureoftarmin.htm 

Atarifever1

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Atarifever1 » November 2nd, 2007, 5:37 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben](i scared easily as a kid...i used to draw the shades when the dreaded snail-moving sleestacks attacked in 'Land of the Lost'...if i'm not mistaken, sleestack's main weapon was shooting rubber bands).

[/QUOTE]

I was similarly easily frightened.  I was afraid to play my Atari a lot of the time because it was in me and my brother's room in the basement, and the basement terrified me.   I had seizures  when I was a kid, and I think I'd gotten so used to always having a parent in the room with me to watch out for me that everything ended up scaring me when I was alone.  The Sleestacks, incidentally, were probably the number one thing I was afraid would be down in my basement.  No kidding.  

Cafeman1

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Cafeman1 » November 3rd, 2007, 9:10 am

I was a Land of the Lost fan too. Got all 3 DVD seasons (I recommend!). My pre-teen kids also enjoy the show so I know it isn't just nostalgia.

Coincidentally (in the Adventure themed thread) I had an idea to use the 5200 AdvII engine for a Land of the Lost game. If anyone is interested in hearing the idea, reply and I'll post some of it. If not, I won't pollute the thread any more.

Alienblue

Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Alienblue » November 3rd, 2007, 12:37 pm

I normally hate it when threads go off on a tangent, but I too, as a Dinosaur lover all my life LOVED the old LAND OF THE LOST TV show.."Marshall Will and Holly, on a routine expedition...!" Who can forget that song? While the stop motion dinosaurs look silly by todays standards, "Grumpy" was AWESOME back then and the show was actually GREAT Sci-Fi! Remember the show when Will found notes from one of Geroge Washingtons men who fell through the portal first and named the SLEESTAK?! That was so cool! The plot twists and turns kept us glued to the end. Too bad the "new" LOTL sucked so bad. I think a great adventure game,based on the old series, could be made! This was the best Kroft show ever made, though I liked H.R. Puffnstuff, the Bugaboos and ESPECIALLY THE LOST SAUCER, that was hilarious-ah,Saturday morning in the 70's!
You kids today will never know the simple pleasures!

Gleebergloben123

Re: Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 5th, 2022, 1:05 am

Sorry, bumping this thread. I miss Alienblue.

matmico399

Re: Best 2600 Adventure?

Postby matmico399 » February 5th, 2022, 8:19 pm

Suicide Adventure. That game is crazy hard. You can be as fast as you can be and that will help, but you need a lot of luck in this thing. I bought it from AA years ago. I still haven't beaten the damn thing.

Return to “Classic Gaming”