Which is more underrated, Gamecube or Dreamcast

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Knox

Postby Knox » April 7th, 2008, 1:29 pm

And which do you think is the better system?

Make your arguments!

riftt

Postby riftt » April 7th, 2008, 2:16 pm

well considering dreamcast is the most overhyped fanboy system of all time I would say it isn't underrated at all.  And a system has to be good in the first place to warrant underrated status so that DQ's the gamecube.

Evan

Postby Evan » April 7th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Gamecube.  It was a good system that gets bashed unfairly.  Frankly I considered its library to be stronger than the Xbox's.  The Dreamcast, while great, gets an almost unwarranted amount of praise.  There's no way it can be considered underrated.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 7th, 2008, 3:49 pm

When talking to other gamers, I would say the Gamecube.  In most gaming circles the Dreamcast is held in the highest regard.  Despite its teeny life cycle it pumped out tons of classics and was the last system to focus on arcade action.  Yet, the Gamecube gets almost no love from the gaming hardcore this isn't Nintendo fanboys.  Mainstream hits like Smash Bros. get you playing while epic gems like Eternal Darkness make sure you're a lifelong fan.

However, if talking to mainstream/casual gamers I would say Dreamcast.  This thing is practically unheard of to most casual gamers.  Yet casual gamers still find the gamecube relevant because it lasted a fairly long time and it is backwards compatible with the Wii.  Yet if you bust out a Dreamcast with a decent library most people fall in love.  Casual gamers adore simple games like Chu Chu Rocket, Sega Marine Fishing, Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis.  Yet, there are enough hardcore games like Code Veronica and Skies of Arcadia to please naysayers.

So my answer is both...it just depends on who you ask.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I agree with JustLikeHeaven.  The Dreamcast has really been given its due over the years, but the GameCube seems like a forgotten console.  Personally, I have been taking an opportunity lately to "stock up" on GameCube games, because I think those little disks are cool.

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » April 7th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Dreamcast for sure. The Gamecube was a neat little system that didn't have a lot of good games, and because of that, failed. The Dreamcast was a pure revolution and it failed.

Knox

Postby Knox » April 7th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Koopa, you should be so lucky as to 'fail' as well as GC did. Lol.

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » April 7th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Gamecube is is great system, I don't care what anybody says. It had Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, RE:4, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, Metroid Prime, and so on and so on. And sure, Viewtiful, RE, and Killer were all ported to the PS2, but the gamecube versions are obviously superior. And besides, the Dreamcast isn't even underrated, everybody  but the fans of its cult classics and game collectors completely forgot about it when the other systems came out.

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » April 7th, 2008, 8:10 pm

[QUOTE=Knox]

Koopa, you should be so lucky as to 'fail' as well as GC did. Lol.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean I didn't like it, I meant it failed in the general market. It might have helped if it didn't look like a big cube. What the hell kind of name is Gamecube? It was a good system, though. Dreamcast is just better.

NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » April 7th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Basicly they are both good. But the only thing that kills the gamecube for me are the controllers.

Return to “Classic Gaming”