Luigi's Mansion and My Niece

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
RowdyRodimus

Postby RowdyRodimus » March 29th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Hi folks!  This is my first (of many I hope) post here and what a great site!  It's a great way to get a quick look at some obscure games to look for at he used game shops and pawn shops.

Now to my topic.  My niece is not quite three and has a great imagination.  One of her favorite games to play is taking a toy gun and "hunting" ghosts throughout the house.  She gets my mom, dad and myself involved in it.  I took her to the dollar or less store and she wanted to buy four of their "machine guns" for all of us.  She picked out different coloirs for everyone and each of us have our own.  No one can use the others gun, she's quite adament about that.

Cut to today (Sunday) where I take her with me to the game store.  I pick up a few NES and SNES games and then head over to the Gamecube section.  I see Luigi's Mansion for six bucks, pick it up and tell her it's her new game.  She asks me what it is and all I tell her is that she'll find out after her nap.

We get home and she lays down and sleeps for an hour.  When she woke up, the first thing she says is "Can we play my new game, Uncle Chris?", so we go into my room and boot it up.

She didn't understand it at first, but when Luigi get's the Poltergust-3000 and catches the first ghost, she broke out laughing and didn't stop for a good five minutes.  We played a little longer until she had to go home, both of us laughing the entire time- her from the inherent silliness of the game to a three year old and me from her enjoying herself so much.  It's one of those things that makes everything worth it and makes you feel better no matter what is going on.

The best part of it all came when I turned it off before she left.  She was putting up her controller and looked right at me and said, "This is my favorite game.  I love you, Uncle Chris.  You always get me fun stuff" .

Ok, I know it's not much about the game (which has always been a GC favorite of mine), but it was still such a sweet thing that a videogame brought about that I wanted to share it.

Thanks for letting me.

steer

Postby steer » March 29th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Thats a great game. I love the music, the atmosphere and the look of the game. The main button in the game makes Luigi call for Mario, for no purpose other than atmosphere. Have to love it.

Kind of a sleeper gamecube game, but a lot of people would really like a sequel on Wii, inclusing me.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 31st, 2009, 4:37 pm

Cute story.  Thanks for taking the time to post it.  I've got a couple of nieces so I get it.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » April 1st, 2009, 6:44 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing!
And welcome to the community.
I don't think my three year old niece speaks as much as yours. But she's a bit shy around me. How is the control for a kid? I remember letting a relative of mine play Sonic Adventure when I first got a Dreamcast and he couldn't turn properly. He just held forward and ran into an edge. I think it was because he wasn't holding the analogue stick properly.

RowdyRodimus

Postby RowdyRodimus » April 2nd, 2009, 1:24 pm

Thanks guys.

As for the control.  She isn't really playing it, I had an old PS2 controller that didn't work anymore, so I cut off the cord and gave it to her.  She has a special place that she puts it when she's done "so the monsters won't get it".  However, she has been playing my nes and does pretty well.  She was able to get through almost the entire first world of SMB.

I get paid on the 3rd and I plan on getting her a used Gameboy Advance they have at a local store for 15 bucks.  She's really excited about it and has had her mom call everyday so she can ask me when we are going to pick it up.

Return to “Classic Gaming”