If Sonic X-treme wasn't cancelled

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 17th, 2009, 1:07 pm

If Sonic X-treme had come out for Saturn back in 1996 would you have gotten it?

That fish eye view looked quite impressive,the levels looked better than Super Mario 64 even.Sonic actually looked like his original form in 3D.

I know this game would've been in my "Games to hunt down list".

Do you think Sonic might've actually not gone down hill had this game come out and been a hit?

TheBawwRadar

Postby TheBawwRadar » June 17th, 2009, 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]That fish eye view looked quite impressive,the levels looked better than Super Mario 64 even.Sonic actually looked like his original form in 3D.

[/QUOTE]

I cant even begin to start on how rediculous that comparison is, The nintendo 64 was a completely different system with different polygon tech, the saturn's actual graphical capabilites had not been taken to it's limits (on 3D games, 2D games look more advanced in terms of detail), plus, why do you think that 3D sonic is similar to it's 2D past image?

jbltecnicspro1

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » June 17th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Well, I'm not sure about how Sonic would have fared, but I'm sure it couldn't have hurt.    I for one, don't think the game looks that interesting, and given the Saturn's 2D prowess - I would have loved to play Sonic in 2D on the Saturn.  Regardless - today's Sonic games are mere shadows (no pun intended) of the old ones.  To me, Heroes was the last decent Sonic game to come out.  After that, it's been one bomb after another.  Googling "sonic the hedgehog sucks" or the like will pull tons of blogs and forums where old school Sonic fans are voicing their disgust with the direction in which Sega has taken Sonic.  And the fact that none of the complaints ever get addressed is pure evidence that Sega doesn't care about their fans.  So could Sonic Xtreme have helped Sega and Sonic?  Yeah, probably - hindsight is a funny thing, isn't it?    But hey, at least we still have the Genesis titles to play.

missingno

Postby missingno » June 17th, 2009, 10:09 pm

I would've definitely bought it, I wish it would've been made.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2009, 9:58 pm

This is an interesting topic.

I was a Playstation guy at the time, but a solid Sonic game would have made me give the Saturn a second look.  Instead Sega released a series of half-hearted Sonic titles like Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, and Sonic Jam.  It seemed like they just could never get over the hump.

The Saturn really needed that "must have" title, but it never got it!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » July 20th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Here's a look at the Jade Gully level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTlS3A1j1rg&feature=related

And here's a look at another one called New Paths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVhWYUcyAU&feature=related

I know I shouldn't but youtube is the best place to get a look at the level in motion and not just images.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » July 20th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Every video I've seen of this game, he's just running around and collecting coins. Is there any footage of him destroying a robot or fightning Robotnik?

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » July 20th, 2009, 11:59 pm

I think there actually are screenshots of a Boss Battle (Fang the Sniper) but I've never seen any videos of it

Return to “Classic Gaming”