Tomb Raider

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
N64Dude1

Tomb Raider

Postby N64Dude1 » December 26th, 2009, 4:35 pm

So far I'm just loving it,I just got the Saturn version of Tomb Raider.It's fun but the camera is kind of bugging me and I don't how to restore health

Are these issues easier to deal with in the PlayStation version?

And finally is there a noticeable difference between the 2? (other than graphics)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Tomb Raider

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 26th, 2009, 10:14 pm

I'm glad you posted this, because I've been thinking about Tomb Raider lately.

When I play modern games like Uncharted, the climbing controls have a semi-automated feel.  Your guy grabs onto anything, and will reach to indicate if a jump is feasible. 

Then I think back to early games like Tomb Raider, and how you had to hit specific buttons to grab, and if you released them, you fell to your death. 

I'm sure Tomb Raider is still a terrific game, but I wonder how frustrating it might be if I played it again, considering how forgiving the newer games are.  I think we've been spoiled.

jbltecnicspro1

Tomb Raider

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » December 27th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Other than the graphics, the main difference (in my opinion) is the controls.  I personally feel that the game meshes better with the Playstation controller.  As for the camera issues, it's the same game.  Both the Saturn and Playstation versions have the same camera behaviors as one another (and the PC game also has the same "issues").  Restoring health is easy.  Just hit the start button to pull up inventory, and use either a "SMALL MEDIPACK" or a "LARGE MEDIPACK."  Small restores half your health, and Large restores all of it.  Remember to hit the action button when approaching stuff on the floor (they're sprites, so they should stick out to you), so that you can pick them up .

Critic, it's not as frustrating as one would think.  Tomb Raider has a very strict movement system based on "squares" - look at the floor while you run around and you'll see what I mean.  All of Lara's movements are based on these square units.  For example, a regular jump forward is equal to two squares of floor - a running jump is about three.  A quick jump backward (tapping back) is equal to one square and so on and so forth.  After playing the game for awhile you'll be able to know exactly what kind of jump you need to make to not die based on this unit system.  It's actually quite easy.  I love Tomb Raider, and I recommend anyone who hasn't played this in a while, do it!  You'll still love it. 

N64Dude1

Tomb Raider

Postby N64Dude1 » April 12th, 2010, 10:48 pm

A few threads about Saturn cartridges have come up recently,within these threads I have heard that only some games work with the memory cartidge,others are fully reliant on battery-power.

Since is the Tomb Raider thread,I'm wondering if any of you know if Tomb Raider works with memory cartridges

jbltecncispro

Tomb Raider

Postby jbltecncispro » April 16th, 2010, 8:48 pm

Tomb Raider in fact, does work with the memory cartridge - but ONLY the official one.  Action Replay devices only allow one to back up what's on the battery memory and it DOES NOT allow direct saving - while the official Saturn memory cartridge does.    Hope this helps.

N64Dude1

Tomb Raider

Postby N64Dude1 » June 10th, 2010, 1:08 am

Sweet.

Well now that's done and over with,I'm curious as to everyones favorite or least favorite or both of levels are.

My personal favorites are the Egyptian levels which were beautiful,full of great puzzles and attractive statues,and there weren't too many of them either.

My least favorites were Natla's Mines and Colosseum both being tedious,pointless and incredibly annoying to get through with Saturn controls and both are incredibly lackluster in design. I'd rather go through all of Ocarina of Time than play Natla's Mines again.

Return to “Classic Gaming”