PS2 Games at Gamestop

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
rift1

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby rift1 » April 15th, 2010, 7:39 pm

I tend to avoid gamestops, buying most of my classic games from ebay or misc places and most new games from amazon.  However, whenever Gamestop starts phasing out stock it can be great for picking up really cheap games.  They have a large selection of PS2 games for under 10 bucks with a lot of real gems in there.  It seems their low price stock is accelerating recently and it looks like they are trying to get all their PS2 stuff out the door to make room for new games.  At the end of the day, you really can't buy any single game on ebay for less than 6-7 dollars because of shipping, so Gamestop can actually be a better deal for these kind of games.  Here is some stuff I've picked up over the last two days, all for under $10 and most for under $5 (like $1.99 and $2.99):

Activision Anthology - the best of the 2600 collections, highly rated by the VGC

Midway Arcade Treasures 1, 2, and 3 - All 3 of these are great for different reasons, something for everyone in these collections

Myst III: Exile - Who doesn't love Myst?

Defender - Really fun update of the classic arcade game that flew under everyone's radar.  This one is a steal at $1.99.  I'm surprised the Critic hasn't reviewed it, as it's very old school in sensibility

The Red Star - old school shooter, highly rated by the Critic

Rygar - Solid update of the original

Intellivision Lives! - I know the Critic hates this one, but for 5 bucks it's pretty cool

Shinobi - Fun old school action

I only buy used games that have their original case and manual, so this stuff is out there.  I have more fun with something old like Rygar for $2.99 than play boring what everyone is playing God of War III for $59.99. 

*This post is probably practically the same for the original Xbox, which seems to be in the same boat as PS2, but I dont own one so can't comment. 

esawk

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby esawk » April 16th, 2010, 2:44 am

I hear ya about the low prices of ps2 and xbox games. The hollywood video is going out of business near me and I bought 4 xbox games for 3.50 a piece. Some very good games like TOCA 3, Flatout, Area 51 and the so-so Star Wars 3 Return of the Sith. I bought Monkey Ball Adventures for the Gamecube for 7 bucks. Its not the best game but its packed with content.
I have to say that TOCA 3 has every racing event you can think of, its a must buy. Now I have to find TOCA 2.

chrisbid1

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby chrisbid1 » April 16th, 2010, 9:02 am

as much as i do not like gamestop as a company, i dont buy the 'boycott gamestop' talk you hear from all around

if you go into a store, and get to see what you are buying, and the prices are great, then why not buy from them?  as the op said, this is the time to stock up on ps2 games.  they will never be any cheaper, and as they dry up from gamestop, prices will only go up from here

andrew

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby andrew » April 16th, 2010, 9:35 am

Defender still costs $10 here in canada at ebGames otherwise I would have picked it up. Most of those you mentioned still go for around $10 thpough it fluctuates sometimes from store to store

I'll go today and see if the prices have changed.

Luke

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby Luke » April 22nd, 2010, 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=esawk] I hear ya about the low prices of ps2 and xbox games. The hollywood video is going out of business near me and I bought 4 xbox games for 3.50 a piece. Some very good games like TOCA 3, Flatout, Area 51 and the so-so Star Wars 3 Return of the Sith. I bought Monkey Ball Adventures for the Gamecube for 7 bucks. Its not the best game but its packed with content. I have to say that TOCA 3 has every racing event you can think of, its a must buy. Now I have to find TOCA 2. [/QUOTE]Yeah, dude... TOCA 3 rocks! I have it on both PS2 and Xbox. Very underrated racing game.

rift1

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby rift1 » May 3rd, 2010, 5:36 pm

picked up Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast for 3 bucks

Wish I could find some of the terminator games complete, as well as neo contra

andrew

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby andrew » May 4th, 2010, 8:28 am

[QUOTE=rift]picked up Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast for 3 bucks

Wish I could find some of the terminator games complete, as well as neo contra[/QUOTE]

Which one? The PS2 or XBOX version?

Dawn of Fate is usually around $5 while last year I think I still payed $20 for Terminator Redemption. You should avoid playing Rise Of The Machines altogether. They didn't call the other one Redemption for nothing.

rift1

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby rift1 » May 4th, 2010, 1:53 pm

PS2 version. I know Dawn of Fate is cheap which is why I've been keeping my eye out for it but so far no complete (case + manual) copies.

0rangeStorm

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby 0rangeStorm » May 4th, 2010, 7:33 pm

I do the same as you. I prefer near mint/complete from ebay, but for suppa cheap games GS is a good option. Just make sure you test everything asap. I've had to return a few defective games to GS. You have 7 days to return it for any reason.

Luke

PS2 Games at Gamestop

Postby Luke » May 7th, 2010, 4:14 am

I'm gonna check all my local Gamestop stores for Bujingai: The Forsaken City tomorrow. They only want three bucks for it.

I've actually never played it before but I think it looks very similar to Shinobi on PS2, which I think is pretty awesome.

Some commentary gameplay footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8kT56S8NOI&feature=related

Return to “Classic Gaming”