Final Fantasy 3

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Final Fantasy 3

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 16th, 2010, 5:53 pm

So I've started playing Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) for some reason, and two things are annoying me.

First, every ten feet I get accosted by a group of wandering monsters, and since I'm still early in the game, they are easy to defeat but time consuming.

Next, you can only save your progress when standing on a blue star.  Fair enough, but shouldn't these stars be in an obvious place?  Like the center of town or an Inn?  But no, they seem to be in hidden rooms you have to search for.  I must have played for over an hour before stumbling over one.

On a positive note, I really like the "optimum" option on the inventory screen that automatically outfits your characters.

Oltobaz1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2010, 5:57 pm

You can save at anytime on the world map!^^

Pixelcade1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Pixelcade1 » May 16th, 2010, 6:19 pm

You are playing one of my top 5 games of all time for me. They really toss the mobs at you and I like it because it's easier to level up and then over power the bosses as you come to them if you like the grind factor of these early RPGs. Take note of the kick ass soundtrack as you play through the game it's one of the best to date I've ever heard. I look forward to a review if you plan to play it long enough to form one. Also I'm shocked you are playing this with your not so interested view on RPG games.

Adamant1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Adamant1 » May 16th, 2010, 8:39 pm

The monsters are easy to defeat throughout the entire game. Final Fantasy 6 is totally devoid of anything resembling challenge. It's an annoyance that started getting popular in the mid-90s - apparently gamers now want their RPG battles to be "plentiful, but impossible to lose at" rather than "non-existant".

(oh, and yeah, this is FF6, not FF3. For whatever reason, it was called "FF3" in a single one of it's 20-something releases, and only in America. It's always been called by it's correct name every time and everywhere else)

Oltobaz1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2010, 11:53 pm

I agree with both of you guys, it's one of my favorite RPGs, yet, it did start a trend of easy RPGs you can complete with close to zero effort. Fortunately, FFs
after this one did maintain one of FF 5 best aspects, optional bosses actually much tougher than the last one, for those of us who want a challenge.

Oltobaz1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 17th, 2010, 1:42 am

On another note, alternate FFs are actually more difficult than
regular ones, usually. Crisis Core (PSP), when turned to hard mode, is
much more challenging than the original one, and, as a tribute to
classic FFs, FF IV the After Years, (Wiiware, unless you got a Japanese
cell phone) is actually pretty tough, especially towards the end.
Both of these games are awesome, by the way!

MappyMousePD

Final Fantasy 3

Postby MappyMousePD » May 21st, 2010, 8:59 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]You can save at anytime on the world map!^^
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and reading the Chrono Trigger DS review, I'm not sure he knew about that in that game either.

Adamant1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Adamant1 » May 21st, 2010, 2:28 pm

I'd advise him to stay away from Final Fantasy 2 and 3, then, since the world map is the only place to save in those

Oltobaz1

Final Fantasy 3

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 21st, 2010, 2:31 pm

I believe someone pointed it out back then in the review feedback...

Return to “Classic Gaming”