Cartridge startup times

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Cartridge startup times

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 26th, 2010, 10:17 pm

In the Atari 2600 era, you fired up a game and were ready to play.  But it seems like in the early 90's publishers started adding a lot of intro screen showing all sorts of logos and stuff.  I remember my friend Eric and I being really annoyed with NBA Jam because it had a lot of screens like that, and you had to wait about a minute before you could play.

Looking back, this was one area where the Nintendo 64 faltered.  It was the only system that had the capability of instant gameplay, yet with all those start-up screens, it might as well have been a CD loading!

I've mentioned that cartridges might make a comeback, and this would be a big opportunity.  Imagine turning on a game like Split Second and being able to instantly play.  I think it could be a big selling point.

Greisha1

Cartridge startup times

Postby Greisha1 » May 27th, 2010, 12:04 am

*haha* it's like some companies wanted to make sure we knew their game had dolby surround sound and that our expansion pack was installed.

Even if you pressed start 20 times, the game doesn't get the hint.

"Swirly N-logo, engage!"

On the flip side, although the PSX had some outrageous load times, companies sometimes put it to good use/ Ridge Racer let you play "quickie-Galaxian" and Midway had the good sense to put cheerleaders in one of the Blitz games.

Pixelcade1

Cartridge startup times

Postby Pixelcade1 » May 27th, 2010, 10:11 am

Oh this topic gets under my skin. The worst game in my collection to do this is Ghostbusters on the Wii. It seems there is studio studio studio on and on and on and on and on. It takes forever. At one point you think there is going to be a movie but nope just another ad. Grrr.

Oltobaz1

Cartridge startup times

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 27th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Even if they bring back cartridges, you'll still
have to deal with these screens, they're pretty
much like commercials, especially in sport games
for instance, what with all these sponsors and so forth...

Hardcore_Sadism1

Cartridge startup times

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » May 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm

I think no matter what, cartridges will never entirely quit load times. It's all in the processor, ram, and rom.

Michael D

Cartridge startup times

Postby Michael D » May 30th, 2010, 1:26 am

[QUOTE=Hardcore_Sadism]I think no matter what, cartridges will never entirely quit load times. It's all in the processor, ram, and rom.[/QUOTE]

That, and seeing how expensive games are getting to make and sell, the production costs for the cartridges are, in most cases, probably not going to be looked upon favorably by either console makers or consumers nowadays.

Return to “Classic Gaming”