Roguelikes? (ASCII or tile based RPG games)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » May 31st, 2010, 10:05 pm

This is not news to me or to anyone on this site, but has anyone ever played a particular ASCII or Tile based computer RPG called "Rogue"?

Apparently there is a huge phenomenon with them that shot off again the last few years or so, to my amazement some dude actually developed an ASCII version of DooM and it is still up for grabs. I am surprised anyone actually updates these particular RPG's every now and then. What does scare me about the DooMRL site though is that they offer unstable builds of the source code and something else I am too lazy to check up on.

Speaking of DooM Rougelike, I've played it myself and it is rather challenging at random. Do not worry though, the enemy types are represented by a letter!

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » June 1st, 2010, 11:46 pm

Some of the more popular roguelikes, like NetHack, ZAngband and ADOM, are a little too hardcore for me.  I've tried to get into them, but I always get frustrated by all the keyboard commands and random deaths.  If I had the time to put into them, I'm sure they would be fun.  

I have liked some of the simpler ones, like the Sword of Fargoal remake for the iPhone and Shiren the Wanderer for the DS.  A few months ago I got seriously addicted to Spelunky, a clever roguelike game that plays more like a 2D platformer.  

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » June 5th, 2010, 2:17 pm

For anyone who want's a bare-bones, original "Rouge", go for the slightly more traditional "Rouge 5.2", this is seriously the easiest RL out there without any unnecessary frills or trivial spots of difficulty. I actually surprised this is the all out original despite the lack of anonymous, random escalations in difficulty or confusion. 

But beware, the game has a hardly noticeable bug where it can lock you into a dead spot. That's the only bug I can find.  

Return to “Classic Gaming”