Donkey Kong Country overrated?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » July 14th, 2010, 6:49 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]over the almighty Big N/Rare combo SHEESH![/QUOTE]

I never understood the hype for Rare. Yeah, they made a couple of great games like Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing and R.C. Pro AM.but at the same time and especially on the NES (WWF Wrestlemania, WWF Wrestlemania Challenge, Anticipation, Nightmare on Elm Street, Wizards & Warriors, Who framed Roger Rabbit), Game Boy (Spider-Man, Fortress of Fear, Monster Max, WWF Superstars) and SNES (Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run, Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct) they released so much crap that i really wonder how they obtained such a godlike reputation.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » July 14th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Um that list you posted is mostly LJN titles hence the crap. Plus LJN is owned (now) by Acclaim last I looked.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » July 14th, 2010, 9:20 pm

@ Pixel --

I could be wrong but I think some of those LJN games that were listed were developed by Rare -- Wizards and Warriors being one?

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » July 15th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Yeah WW was done by Rare and released in the US by Acclaim (per wiki) not sure on the other titles but I thought LJN did all their own games in house.

rift1

Postby rift1 » July 16th, 2010, 2:00 am

LJN is Acclaim, it was a fake company nintendo let them use to release more games on the NES because at the time Nintendo had a policy to keep quality control high.  Same thing with Rare = Ultra 

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » July 16th, 2010, 1:05 pm

[QUOTE=rift]LJN is Acclaim, it was a fake company nintendo let them use to release more games on the NES because at the time Nintendo had a policy to keep quality control high.  Same thing with Rare = Ultra [/QUOTE]

I thought Ultra was Konami?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 16th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Yeah, Ultra was Konami. They really liked that "fake company" system, having another fake one named Palcom in addition, too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm

I'm almost done my revised review, and I still rate the game very highly.  There are actually a lot of innovations including the buddy system, the animals you can ride, the barrel shooting, and who can forget the crazy minecart ride?  Not to mention the digitized graphics and audio are still fantastic in my opinion.

If there's a flaw, it's the excessive difficulty.  Wow - I never realized just how freakin' HARD this game was.  Once you get past the first few stages, the margin for error is almost ZERO.  Still, you can only fault a game so much for being hard.

I would imagine that if you're playing this game on an HDTV with any degree of control lag, it might go from "hard" to "impossible".  If you're having difficulty I'd suggest trying it on an old-fashioned TV.

MythicRobDog1

Postby MythicRobDog1 » July 20th, 2010, 12:35 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I'm almost done my revised review, and I still rate the game very highly.  There are actually a lot of innovations including the buddy system, the animals you can ride, the barrel shooting, and who can forget the crazy minecart ride?  Not to mention the digitized graphics and audio are still fantastic in my opinion.

If there's a flaw, it's the excessive difficulty.  Wow - I never realized just how freakin' HARD this game was.  Once you get past the first few stages, the margin for error is almost ZERO.  Still, you can only fault a game so much for being hard.

I would imagine that if you're playing this game on an HDTV with any degree of control lag, it might go from "hard" to "impossible".  If you're having difficulty I'd suggest trying it on an old-fashioned TV.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the revisions Critic. I actually wasn't vouching for a re-review when I originally posted, but hey, I won't complain. Hopefully you can set the record straight soon enough.

As far as the difficulty is concerned, you're right in that there really isn't much room for error, but I still rarely ever felt frustrated and I always wanted to continue. Don't forget to mention the PLETHORA of awesome secrets that the player can find as well!

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » July 20th, 2010, 2:58 pm

I am a HUGE fan of the DKC trilogy. It's not overrated at all, and is underrated today. The graphics and music are fantastic, and the unique level design and hidden bonus stages all make it a classic even by today's standards.

Return to “Classic Gaming”